Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Christmas..Or SOmething Like It

I have to admit, I have lots of thoughts about Christmas. I don't know if it is because marketing has been going on since Halloween, because I am Jewish and straddling a couple holidays, or maybe I am just desperate for adult conversation! Whatever the reason, my mind is wandering this season. (How about that for rhyming!)
I'd like to start by saying, I don't get stressed this time of year. I would encourage others to do the same. Once upon a time, I thought Chsristmas had to be similiar to a Hallmark commercial. I was never so naive that I thought it would be EXACTLY the same, but isn't Norman Rockwell suppose to be what our goal is? Last year I blogged about my sister's car accident a few days before Christmas, and I hate to get all preachy, but seriously, narrowly escaping a worse scenario puts it in perspective. I get crap for not cooking the big meals, I get eye-rolls for some of my gift suggestions, and I can't get a single person to vote for pizza. But I have some of the most fun this time of year. The lights, the decorations, the songs, wrapping, lame movies, good movies, the mall...bring it on. Because the truth is, like everything else we do in life, the holidays, any holiday, is what you make of it.
Which leads me to my next topic... Santa.
A few weeks ago I had a conversation with another mom about Santa. She wanted to do that with her kids, but the let down when she found he wasn't real was so acute, she didn't want her children to go through the same thing. I remember the magic of Santa, I remember finding out he wasn't what I thought, and remember there were a few years there where I struggled with what the point was. No Santa? Then why bother with the decorations, tree, and all else...I could just toss a gift to everyone and call it good. Thank God the teen years are not forever. Seriously, thank-you God!! Other than the ability to eat what I wanted, I can't say I would re-live any of it.
What I learned is that Santa the Man may not be around anymore, but his spirit continues and after a decade or so of seeing how it works, it was now my turn to be Santa. And the great thing is, anyone who wants to, can be like Santa. Everytime we buy a gift for a needy child, I feel like Santa. Everytime I find a gift someone isn't expecting, I feel like Santa. Surprising people with stocking stuffers...yep, I feel like Santa.
Bill Murray had it right in the movie "Scrooged"-this is the time of year when we do a little more, care a little more, and take time out to enjoy things a little more.
My advice to people, as if anyone really needs it, is to relax, enjoy it, and believe in Santa. I do.

No comments: