Friday, September 14, 2007

You know your a parent when...

There are moments when you look at the little person behind you, your child, and you think to yourself "who is following me?" I have looked at Asa and been absolutley astounded that he is 1) actually mine and 2)the universe thinks I can be responsible for him. Other times I look at him and it hits me, I AM A MOM. Last night was a mom moment.
It's 10:30pm and I am sneaky into my son's room just like I used to sneak into the house at 3:00a so I wouldn't wake my parents. I have to be sure he is TOTALLY asleep so I can sneak his two best friends, puppy dog and blankie, out and into the wash. We can't do this awake. To have those two gone risks the ultimate meltdown. I successfully enter the room, grab blankie, and realize that puppy dog is under Asa's arm. My sister will understand when I say I felt like Robin Hood in the Disney version of that movie, stealing gold from Prince John. I am uttering the mantra "please don't wake up, please don't wake up" as I lift Asa's arm and snatch the dog away. Touchdown, I get both into the wash at 10:45p. So guess who gets to stay up until 1:00a with grainy eyes cursing the day we gve Asa the damn dog? Who in there right mind stays up that late to wash a dumb ass stuffed animal and it's side kick the over-sized kleenex? Only a parent, that's who. Once they were dry it was like a brand new team. Not only were they bright in color but super soft. I wantd to sleep with them myself as visions of childhood came filtering back. How upset can I get-I had a blankie too and I know the feeling.
You may be asking why I made such an effort to get these two washed? The other day Asa handed me puppy dog to kiss, of course handing me the dog's butt. I am a good mom, I did the obligatory kiss, only to discover that puppy dog had a crunchy ass. In my house, ANYTHING with a crunchy ass gets a bath. I still do not know what Asa got that dog into but if it happens again, I will be up till 1:00a waiting for the dryer to go off.

1 comment:

T-girl said...

Teehee SO know the feeling!

Hugs, T