Sunday, July 05, 2009

Day Camp

I am falling asleep as I write this, so watch for typos.
I can't say enough, how much fun we all had at Day Camp last week.
The kids got so dirty they had a bath every night.
Noah was treated like Prince Charming, while Asa has scratches, bruise, and bumps from playing so hard. He ran into tables, fell off tables, and did some face plants in the dirt. Plus, there was the day he played with the tailpipe of the bus (the bus was off). Can we say black? Can we say black from head to toe?
I, of course, loved singing and playing games with over 150 Girl Scouts. I honestly thought my counselor days were behind me and I am so glad I was wrong. Hearing "Zinka" again, my camp name now for OVER 20 years, is like putting on a pair of comfortable tennis shoes. And like I told other staff, having lunch with people who DON'T giggle and tell me they just tooted was such a bonus.
And after all that, I realize that going to day camp makes it seem like summer to me. Yes, Ic an look out and see sun. Yes, I can look at a calender and read what part of the year we are in. But for me, growing up, summer meant going to camp. Through day camp, resident camp, and summer jobs I had, I went to camp for 24 summers. I can't explain it very well, but it is like Christmas with snow, and Christmas without snow. You know either way it is still Christmas, but the change in the weather makes it seem that more special to you.
And total bonus-they said I can come back next year.
Mentally, I am already there.

No comments: