Tuesday, August 04, 2009

How Goes My Goals

So, like most parents, I am big on dreams and short on time. I wanted to be blogging WAY more than I have been, but such is life. By the time the kids are in bed, I just don't have the wherewithall to form a complete sentence. I actually feel like that tonight, but I am also feeling dangerous and rebellious so here I go!!!
I had talked about a few goals for myself at the begninning of the summer and I thought I would update the "public" on how it is going.
I wrote once that I wasn't as successful with coupons as I wanted to be. I am to loyal to certain brands, to lazy to cut coupons out, and to pressed for time to remember to use them. However, my re-adjusted goal of using what I actually buy has been great. Not only because I am getting more bang for my buck but I am wasting less to the land-fill AND using the space in my freezer more wisely. Seriously, I found pork chops from 2007. If they hadn't had a label on them, I am not sure I could have identified them correctly. The pork chops were using space ice cream could!!!
The garden has been a success but more in what I learned from it, versus the amount of produce I have actually gotten from it. First off, I realized I didn't really plant enough of anything to avoid buying it in the store. There is a reason farms have a lot of acreage and my little urban plots didn't come close. Second, not everything came up as planned. Since I hadn't the hart to thin my radishes, I basically got pretty flowers, and I don't even know what happened to the spinach. And for those of you not on Facebook, the wild rabbit visiting us has taken his/her? share of beans.
However, I learned a lot about how food gets to the table,the amount of effort farmers are expending, and I will do things differenlty next year. I learned that radishes can flower, and they are pretty!! My son also learned that we can eat some plants because my peas were awesome-he ate so many I barely got any! My tomatos are looking good and I have eaten two of those. I think it is good for kids to learn that food doesn't have to come in a container, and I think Asa got that this summer. And, as a bonus, we actually got to eat ome good stuff too!
By next summer, I am hoping to actually have a part of my backyard devoted to a garden and NOT just a few pots here and there. Although the stuff in pots excaped the wild rabbit. Hmmm, something to ponder. And yes, I have gotten advice on how to get rid of the rabbit, but I kind of like it. One, it has led to some good discussions about wild animals versus pets, because a neighbor had a rabbit. And two, it shows Asa that animals eat these things also; the Circle of Life if you will.
I guess technically, I didn't achieve my goals. But I learned a lot, and knowing is half the battle. Yo Joe!! Seriously, I feel successful and that is what counts the most.

No comments: