Monday, February 11, 2008

The Genius Fake Economist

I am a genius, in my humble opinion.
I am not an Economist, nor do I play one on TV. But let me share with you some conversations I had with people willing to feign interest about 6 months ago. I sum up in the interest of space.
My rant:
In 2007 utility bills rose double digits, public transportation ticket/pass costs rose three times, the cost of health care rose double digits, food prices increased, and of course the gas pump jumped around like a little kid who has to go to the bathroom-but it was never cheap, even if the price "lowered". A "cost of living" raise is typcially 2-6%, depending on the generiosity of your company (sometimes it is 0% in a tougher economy). I am not a math wizard but how the hell is 2-6% suppose to cover all those increases!!!! I honestly don't know the official definition of recession/depression. I avoided those classes like the plague. But what I can say is that we are being squeezed and it isn't by the luxury items. I may be a snob, but I want to eat at home and I want to heat my house somehow and I want to drink water from the tap.
End rant.
6 months ago, "experts" denied a recession was on the way. Now, they are hemming and hawing that we MIGHT be headed for one. Who are these dummies?!??! Now the governmentwants to give us money to solve the problem. Right-when Nick and I are short on money at the end of the month, we go out and lavishly splurge to solve our money woes. Spending money, when there is no money, seems like a stupid way to solve the "maybe recession". But here is why I will take that money and I won't feel guilty-
1. I have no pride. If someone offers me money, are they stupid for offering or me for saying no?
2. It goes to me or Iraq-a country that isn't sure it even wants us there and I sure feel I am way more important than a country we aren't really helping much.
3. This will be added to our cost of living raise and maybe we will be able to live with the market raises that are going to come this year. I work part-time; every bit helps.

This was someone esle's opinion regarding the kickback but I thought it worthy to pass on. If you really want to help kick start the ecomony, don't buy the luxury items, get services. If you get your windows cleaned, or your tree's trimmed, your money is going directly to another person who's business is probably tight in an economic downturn. That didn't sound any worse than giving money to a clothing company sending jobs overseas.

No comments: