Friday, February 29, 2008

The Next Albert Einstein

You may re-call that I talked with "Mabel" last week and remembered I wanted to steal her bookshelf growing up. Well, in the course of that same conversation, Mabel, who does not have children of her own**, asked me why so many parents thought their small children were so damn smart. Of course, she said this after I identified Asa as having average intelligience. So I have some theories, some I mentioned then, and some I have been thinking about for a week.

Theory 1
Anybody who has spent a length of time with any kids (and I mean years) should be amazed at Human Developement. I have led a yearly Girl Scout trip for 12 years now-some of the girls going this year I met as gawky 12 year olds, and they are getting ready to graduate high school as poised, young women. The transformation is incredible. Now imagine a baby that starts with only the ability to cry, and soon is taking on skills way more difficult. I think it just skewers parents/grandparents/aunts/uncles/cousins, etc. thinking a little bit and they just need to put it in perspective.

Theory 2
The learning curve when you are 2 is soooo much easier than 35. To be a genius, Asa need have a bowel movement every so often and NOT pick his nose in public. Hooray-my kid listened! At 35 I need to do a few more things to get people on my side. Again, it is that perspective thing.

Theory 3
Do you really want to hang around the parent that says "yeah, my kid is as dumb as a box of rocks-we are just hoping they are good looking so they can be a model." Wow-dream big. Sure it can be frustrating to be around a parent who over-emphasizes every little achievement, but it is even more heart breaking to be around the parent who has no hopes, aspirations, or dreams for their child.

Theory 4
A friend mine related this story about herself to me and I love it because it is so kid like:
"Gertie" was about 2, and her dad noticed that she was taking the fuzz off her blanket and rolling it into little balls. This is amazing for a 2 year old-finger dexterity isn't always that precise. However, when her dad looked back, he noticed her making the fuzz balls, but there were no fuzz balls around her. Where were they going? Gertie was shoving them up her nose. We call these actions "Baby Genius". Kids will do the most amazing things that astound you, and then turn around and just be a kid. Asa sings with me, which I am sure other 2 year olds have done, but I have never heard them. SO I find Asa's singing simply on the level of genius, and then he will turn around and walk into the wall. Don't worry-he get's it from me. It comes from not paying attention to where you re going, but it strips Asa of his membership to the young Albert Einstein Club.

1 comment:

T-girl said...

This is so funny! I try not to do the whole "my kid is so smart thing" but you know... she is! She figures crap out so fast and always has. I would not say she is a genius but she DEFINITLY has streetsmarts! For example, she knows when she lets the doggies outside while going back in to get Mommy's keys so she can unlock a door she feels should be well, unlocked, that the BEST response is "Mama, look! BAAAAAAAAD Doggies! Doggies, come.here. NOW!" What can I say, she get's it from me, which does not bode well for the teen years but for the toddler years I says, "wow, pretty good!" LOL I guess I go with the perspective idea!