Friday, April 25, 2008

My Reading List

Okay, I still have my reading list up there, and I get some geeky satidfaction just by looking at it. Look at me, I have books to read-how cool! But it was also a dumb thing to do because since I posted that list, I have read about 6 books and not one of them was one my list!!!! I finally finished Omoo, which was interesting but hardly a page turner. Ironcially, it was very popular when it came out in 1847 because it was so concise. Umm, okay. It was interesting to read about the "Sandwich Islands", which is what we know as Hawaii. But typical of the time period, Melville alternates between being paternalistic and superior to the local natives, and sometimes downright racist. Good times for those people.
I also read "Girl With A Pearl Earring". Never saw the movie, but book was great. Easy read to, especially after Omoo. I am not even into art, and I still was very interested reading about life in the artist world in the 1700's. And the life if the lower class, so to speak.
I also read some mysteries that I picked up at the grocery store, but please don't tell my husband that. I am not suppose to be buying books, but the addict in me went into the shakes and they some how ended up in my cart!
Right now I am reading two books: "Last Child In The Woods", and another one about hper-active PARENTING, although the title escapes me at the moment. I will be blogging about both of those at a later date but both are extremely informative not only as a parent, but from the point of view of society. As a teaser, one parent was so mad that her child was not being played enough in a sports game, that she physically started punching the refree. The refree was noticeably pregnant. What does that say about us as a society?!?!
Have a great weekend everyone!

2 comments:

The Girl Next Door said...

OH!I am so proud of you!!!!!! LOVE your public awareness campaign! LOL

Oh and let me know what the book title is. I had to chuckle...this is why I don't have one up...the guilt would probably send me over the edge!!!! OH and no worries, your secret is safe with me- supermarkets are evil... you were doing those poordefensles books a favor... they were way too close to the soda aisle,think of the tragidy that may have encured!!!! :)

PS sorry about the typing...someone stole my keys off my laptop!!!!!! LOL

AMJ said...

Dena, if you are willing to share, would love to read the Pearl Earing. Also will be curious about your post on hyper-active kids since I seem to have three of them. What they don't put in books, DIET, DIET, DIET! After a week of plain white matzah, and filler foods my kids are nutty! And what is the rub, i have spent more money than i would have normall and I have been having to pay the same prices for pesticide veggies as my organics. That is more to do with where we are living though I am working on changing that. guess all those pesticides cost more! Anyway,look forward to your book review.

T- I can totally relate to the keys! We are missing two now. fortunately not widely used ones.