Tuesday, September 08, 2009

An immortal soul

An immortal soul: "I rant and rave about the negative side of science and lo' and behold, I found a good side this weekend.
I found out from a friend, who shall remain nameless, that they suffer from Depression. They didn't call it that, but it is. When you say you have a big hole inside of you and if it didn't hurt those around you, you would welcome death, I call that Depression.
So I ask 'Bernard', how come they don't do something about it?
Bernard responds, 'I don' want to take drugs.'
Ahhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!! AAAAAARRRGGGGHHHHHHH!!!!
I don't understand that, I honestly don't. That is such an old-fashioned response, but so common and it drives me nuts. And if you think I haven't been there, ask me about my post-partum again, when I sat there and cried because I couldn't decide what to eat for dinner.
Why are people so willing to pop pills for headaches and colds (including Bernard), but when it comes to mental health, everyone goes up in arms against 'drugs'?
How many chemicals are there in the human body? How much do we need of EACH chemical to be a functioning adult? How many chemical changes do we go through in our lives? Exposure to pollutants, having babies, going through menopause, just getting older-all these things change the make-up of our bodies.
I may be on anti-depressants the rest of my life. I may stop after this year. I don't know yet. But I sure as hell don't see why I should have to live in misery because I don't want...happiness? I am afraid of the stigma?
It kills me because I am the one making Science such a bad guy and it finally does something good and people don't want to touch it. Experiments on rats have given us epidurals (God's gift to pregnant women), AND that there are medicines to take so we don't have to suffer with certai"

2 comments:

The Girl Next Door said...

Hum... I agree to a point! First as you well know... I too suffered from PPD... I also took drugs (it was that or off myself! LMAO) however I also agree with Bernards point too.

Hear me out... I think as a society way too many people use drugs for any purpose as an easy out. we are a pill popper society, "oh take this will fix it" when what we really need to be doing is fixing the issue that CAUSED us to need the damn pill in the first place! I know you agree with me on this... we have talked about it. What I think you missed in your post here is that if used PROPERLY the little blue pill can be HELPFUL to help you deal with the problem that caused the problem. Make sense? Unfortunatly the medical community as a whole has been grossly negligent with antidepressants and any damn doctor can prescribe them... that is not right. Too many people think theyhave to be on them long term because their doc just said "take this feel better" instead of dealing with the whole issue... why they needed it in the first place...when really they are not meant to be for long term use except in very rare cases! Overall I am discusted with the medical community for creating the problems and myths with these drugs. They are lifesaving and wonder drugs if used appropriately but because they have not been they have created huge fears and misconceptions for people to have to wade thru along with their depression to get help!

The Girl Next Door said...

sorry... I need to correct something... the health insurance and drug comapanies created this problem along with the doctors who had no choice in some regards.... most won't even cover mental health care but they will cover a script for a little blue pill!