Tuesday, January 12, 2010

I No Longer Agree

When the Oregon Dept. of Human Services, hereafter noted as DHS, first came under fire a few years ago, I defended them. They are under-staffed and under-funded.
Then a little child was severely beaten and people wanted to know how that fell through the cracks. I defended DHS; little kids hurt themselves all the time. My own son has two bruises on his face from falling into things-thank goodness everyone who knows me realizes that these are true accidents. It would be easy enough to explain away bruises on young children.
When another young child died during a parental visit, I still did not lose faith. After all, every organization has their bad employees and who knew the parent was so over the edge.
In the past month, a 15-year old girl was killed via a brutal beating from her own parents. Numerous people reported to DHS that this girl had been beaten for months, possibly years prior to her death; the bruises were visible to her friends, other family, and her teachers. You cannot excuse the bruises of a teenager as the beginning steps of a new walker like my young son.
I no longer offer any support, verbal or otherwise, to DHS. Yes, they are under-staffed and under-funded, but enough is enough. Clean house, utilize your dollars, and start saving children. Catching the radar of DHS should not be a death sentence.

2 comments:

aabbggss@hotmail.com said...

Great comment-agency needs help

The Girl Next Door said...

Don't get me started... it's one thing to be understaffed and under funded... it's another to be negligent! there is a HUGE difference!