Thursday, July 12, 2007

Harry Potter-the 5th movie-good

You may not know this about me, but beneath my mild mannered appearance (think Clark Kent with boobs) I am a Harry Potter fan! I still remember the day, going down memory lane, when I discovered the magical wizard out of England. A friend found the first three books cheap at Costco and gave them to me at Christmas, asking me if I had even heard of Harry Potter. I had just caught a quick paragraph somewhere about how kids really liked this book, so yes I had heard of him but I didn't know ANYTHING about him: age? location? Storyline? I figured Harry was a boy's name but that was it. I read the first four chapters and was unimpressed. I almost put it down. It reminded me to much of "James and the Giant Peach" by Roald Dahl. An orphan living with nasty relatives. Big deal. The main character in "Peach" was James Trotter, and Harry's dad was James, and I just kept thinking nice subtle plagarism. But I kept reading. I read those first three books in about ten days. Ahhh-free time before I procreated. Then I bitched at the rest of my family to read them. I started my own cult.
Here we are 6 books later, and 5 movies later and the magic continues (although I never saw three books cheap again.) I read the 5th book when it came out but PURPOSELY did not read it before the movie. The first three movies I did that and I spent the whole time asking myself "why did they leave that out?" Sometimes, ignorance is truly bliss. I really liked the fifth movie, and that is saying a lot because the fifth book has been my least favorite. Yes, details got cut, just like the first four movies. But it helped boil down the plot so you got some of the key concepts I missed when reading the book. There were some funny lines, and I love seeing the kids grow-up with the role. Whoever said they would look to old to basically play their own age should be shot with a wand (I actually read that somewhere and I can only assume that it was someone from Hollywood where we demand that 16 year olds actually look 24.) I also love seeing the cast of venerable British actors who have been in the Harry Potter series. It reads like a Who's Who of English acting and the decision to keep American actors out was wise.
So the final book comes out next week and as much as I would love to say that J.K. Rowling and I are "BBF's", the truth is she has no idea who the hell I am. But here is my own OPINION (no first hand knowledge) of what I think will happen in the last book:
1. We will discover that Albus Dumbledore is not only alive, but some how related to Harry. Either Great Uncle, grandfather-I am not really sure.
2. Two characters (note we have not heard the word "people") die in the last book. Obvisiouly one of them has to be Lord Voldemort,a nd as for the other one, I don't know but I highly DOUBT it will be a main character. Who will go to the last movie if it is Harry, Ron, or Hermoine? Not that J.K. Rowling has ever been about the money, but still...
3. Snape is good. Although he may never be Harry's greatest fan, he has always come out in the end for good.
4. Harry will graduate from Hogwarts, and become the Defense Against the Dark Arts professor. Who better to lead that class then the one who vanquished the biggest Dark Arts creature of them all?
If I am right, it will be a minor mriacle. I am hardly ever right. But if I am, I will certainly take some time to gloat. We shall see in about a week!

2 comments:

T-girl said...

Sigh you are the second today to harp about these books! I want to read them but since I also procreated I have to wait until she is old enough to understand and I am reading them for her! LOL

AMJ said...

Mrs. Kravit you have some interesting theories there. I fear I may not make it until the paper back comes out, I may have to purchase my own copy here. When the 6th one came out there were a lot of people who read it once and the sold it or had extra copies so maybe I can find it for cheaper in a few weeks.

T-girl, I can totally relate. I feel proud if I finish my Parents magazine which is usually done late at night or in the bathroom!