Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Going to the dogs

I am bothered yet again. I am so anal that seems to happen often but now I have my sights set on the sports world.
Michael Vick, QB for the Atlanta Falcons (that is a football team for those you are uninformed), has been brutalized by the press and fans for being involved in dogfighting. I am damn sick of hearing about it. But don't read me wrong. I hope that Michael Vick gets the book thrown at him. Not only is it a horrible, horrible "sport", but it has been well researched that people who brutalize animals, often turn to the human counterpart eventually. Seems you either care about other lives, or you don't.
But it disturbs me how specialized the fans and press are in their venom. Sure Michael Vick has done wrong, but where are these people when sports stars are accused of beating their wives and girlfriends? (I have yet to hear of a female athlete beating up their innocent spouse so I can't fairly drag them into this.) I can think of a half dozen athletes from a variety of sports who were accused of domestic violence, and the response from the public has always been lukewarm-especially if the accused is on a team headed to the play-offs. "These men have stressful jobs". "They have to deal with constant presssure to succeed." "The amount of testosterone needed to win, makes them high-spirited." "It is a private family matter and none of our business." These are not direct quotes, but they reflect the same sentiment I often hear. When did the pain of a dog become more than the pain of a woman? Or as my very astute husband said, if Michael Vick had been fighting with chickens, would anyone have cared?
I hope that this is the beginning of a new dawn for all sports "hero's"-that they are no more, and no less, as special as the rest of us and that they too are mere mortals who must obey the law. The silver lining to all this, and there is one-Joey Harrington is set to be the Falcons starter. As a former U of O Duck, we are still in his corner and would like the Detroit Lions to be sorry they ever let him go. He is a much better role model that Michael Vick any day.

2 comments:

AMJ said...

I totally agree with you. Animal cruelty is wrong, but please let puts things in perspective. Has anyone noticed how little press the Pro-wrestlers are getting starting with the Benoits' and then I noticed small articles about another pro-wrestler who killed his wife. It is really ashame what sells these days. And as for the UofO, well of course we have the best! Quack Quack!

T-girl said...

ROTFLMAO... did Alina quack?

I agree what sells kind of creeps me out!

Oh, and what was that chick who was married to that baseball player... the chick from the whitesnack video... Tawny Katane or some..er, stuff. She beat her hubby up but I suppose that doesn't count since the only sport she played was who's the most famous I can bag and he was the athlete! Still it was fasinating to see in the national news! LOL