Friday, July 06, 2007

Impress me baby

Recently someone told me that I am hard to impress. This comment was made after I made an obversation about a U2 concert I went to in the '90's. Bono, the lead singer, was walking on a catwalk and people from the crowd kept trying to touch him. To Bono's credit, he shook hands with many of his fans. All I could think, as I watched this scene play out was how if I were down there, there is no way I want Bono touching me. Not only is he a stranger, he is hot and sweaty from putting pn a show and I would bet good money he has germs. Think of all the hands he just shook. Meeting/seeing/talking to famous people is exciting, and I have had my share of "fan moments", but am I impressed? Because Bono can sing better than me? Travels more than me? Was almost a priest instead of a rock star? Kudos for Bono for doing what he loves but where should I be impressed?
The truth is, I am just as impressionable as the next person, but it has to be something important. Social Workers impress the hell out of me. No pay for working with a segment of the population most of us want nothing to do with-that is impressive. Mother Teresa-walking the talk of helping our fellow man impresses the shit out of me. People who have lost children, no matter what their age, and still carrying on is tops on my list. One couple I read about lost all three of their children in a car accident. Their response was to start a foudnation to help kids in need. If I lost Asa I think I would curl up in a ball and just cry. Yet this couple have brought goodness out of a horrible tragedy. These are the type of people that impress me.
This is the one time I wish others were like me. "Stars" are great and all, but do we need more Paris Hilton's of the world? Maybe if she were impressionable like me, we wouldn't be hearing about how jail changed her. Changed her from what?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oi, achei teu blog pelo google tá bem interessante gostei desse post. Quando der dá uma passada pelo meu blog, é sobre camisetas personalizadas, mostra passo a passo como criar uma camiseta personalizada bem maneira. Se você quiser linkar meu blog no seu eu ficaria agradecido, até mais e sucesso. (If you speak English can see the version in English of the Camiseta Personalizada. If he will be possible add my blog in your blogroll I thankful, bye friend).

Anonymous said...

But didn't Bono get nominated for the peace prize? That is a bit different than Paris Hilton. Yes, they are both famous, but I think Hilton is more infamous that anything.

T-girl said...

OH I LOVE BONO! HE impresses me! The man could be so many things or ways and he chooses to spend his time doing a lot of good for others and you only hear about it if it makes a differnce. That man is so involved with making the world better and not in an Angelina Jolie sort of way! I like him a lot! Oh and I agree about the kids, one of my girlfriends just celebrated the 1 year anniversary of her little ones death and I have no idea how she does it, I would find a hole I think!