Monday, August 13, 2007

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows

As promised here is my critique of the latest Harry Potter book. Be forewarned, I am not trying to ruin the book for anyone so some of my comments are vague but it is almost impossible not to give a critique without mentioning the book to prove my case so if you want total suprise when you read the book, stop right here!
I was extremely disappointed in this last book, which was a great shock to me as I have enjoyed the series so much. Many people cite the fact that fame gets to authors and their books change over time but I saw an interview with J.K. Rowling and she wrote the end of the entire series before she wrote the first book so I know this is not the case here. Why the change? Can't answer that-I don't know. My mom disagrees with me that there is a difference so I just might be mental-it wouldn't be the first time I have gone off the deep end!
My biggest complaint about the book is the indeciciveness of whether this is a children's book or an adult book. It is sold under children's lit., explores some very adult themes and reads more like a grown-up book, and then at the very end she switches back to a children's book and basically ends the story with "and they lived happily ever after". After spending three days of reading an adult book, I wanted more. On that note, her use of death was appaling to me. I think she proved in books 4, 5, and 6 that Lord Voldemort is a nasty guy with no conscience. Even in the beginning of book 7, she has a few deaths that leave us sad (I got a tear in my eye for the second one). But at the end of the book she seems to almost find glee in killing people right and left and I found it uncalled for. But again, here we go again with my argument are we reading a children's book or an adult book? In an adult book I would expect lots of death, but in a children's book I was disturbed by it. And I don't care what my mom or the media say-Snape is bad from beginning to end. The final child vs. adult book is how confusing it is. 24 hours AFTER I finished the book, I realized why there were Horcrux's AND the Deathly Hallows. True, I am slow, but I can't imagine a 10 year old being that much quicker. Or maybe I just don't give those youngun's enough credit. Either way, when the movie comes out, I will be hard pressed to spend $9 on a first run of it a theater. I am more inclined to wait for the video.
In all of the first 6 books there was always a magical quality that made me feel like I was peeking into a another world. This last book just felt like I was reading someone else's misery. Not that the books have always been sunshine and roses, but you still felt magically transported. The magic was missing from this book. I never felt transported or even magical. There were many ananlogies to World War II and I don't know if that is what got to me or not, but this book could have been the misery of every ethnic group that has ever been outcasted from the main population, adn that is quite a few groups as we all know.
So, overall-thumbs at half mast. I have read better, I have read worse but I wouldn't recommend it to anyone.

3 comments:

Katie said...

Ah well...you can't win em all. I LOVED it. But I also love those underwear commercials where they dress as fruit, so whatcha gonna do?!

:)Tiffany(: said...

Well I completely agree with you but i still loved the books and I figured out the books and im ten but read them when i was nine

Anonymous said...

This post leaves me to wonder if you even read the books, because if you had, then you wouldn't be asking such inane and ridiculous questions! It's a journey, not seven books about magic. Harry goes on a journey and Deathly Hallows is the culmination of that journey, it's where Harry grows up. It's where he's FORCED to grow up. There would be no forward movement, no momentum, no development if JK Rowling wrote these books as it seems you wanted her to write them. I suggest you go read Twilight, it seems to suit your interests more.