Monday, August 06, 2007

August Camping

Asa and I just returned from camping in the Columbia River Gorge. I spent the entire weekend telling Asa to...get out of the garbage, leave the dog food alone, leave the dog alone, leave the neighbors alone, don't cross the street, get out of (Cheryl, Amy, Monika's) chair, leave the dog's water alone, leave the fire alone, etc. etc. It was not restful. Every time a train went by, which was often, Asa perked up like someone had given him drugs and ran to the neighbors site across the street where he would quickly beg for food and than run to the edge of a big hil that ended at the tracks. He is a multi-tasking little devil. And after two nights of sleeping on the ground, I feel like Rocky Balboa took a couple jabs my way. It sucks to get old and decrepit!
But the reality is, we had a great time!! Sitting around ye' old campfire at night, looking at the stars, sneaking smores while Asa slept, gave me a feeling of great peacefulness and a fat butt. And knowing that we may not have the most fun of everyone present, BUT that Asa was exposed to new experiences and elements made me feel like a good mom. He got filthy and gross, but he saw the outdoors as they are meant to be seen, and not through a television screen. We will go camping again, hopefully this year. And again, I will probably yell at Asa the whole time to stay out of whatever trouble he can find. Sounds like a great time to me!! Thank-you to our patient co-campers, Cheryl, Monika, Amy, Dexter, Henry, and Juanita. Very appreciative that no one bit Asa, even when he deserved it.

2 comments:

T-girl said...

I am SO scared to take Joci camping! I want to but I am fairly certian she will end up eaten by a bear or some such... that or someone will call social services because I can't stop yelling at her to "get back here" "out of there" and "I SAID NO! NO MEANS NO!" LOL

AMJ said...

Your camping trip sounds like our trip to the zoo. I was seriously considering purchasing a homing beacon or a remote control shock collar! However, the kids had fun so that was good. Glad Asa got to have fun and play in the dirt!