Friday, November 09, 2007

I blinked, plus dinner was gross

My son turned 2 last Wednesday. Gulp-I no longer have a baby. I could go on and on about the changes, the memories of the day he was born, etc. etc. But it is enough here to say that I love him and he continues to amaze me. (Who in the world taught him what a cookie is?!?!?!)
Let me start by saying I have nothing against birthday parties. And I have nothing against birthday parties for small children. I have even attended a few in my day and Asa had so much fun he fell asleep in the driveway before I could start the car. But for myself, I have not had any desire to throw Asa a party. Last year we had both sets of grandparents over and because a big game was on, Nick's cousin Tommy came over with his girlfriend. (Okay, Tommy's girlfriend, Tina, is one of my closet friends so she just assumed I had invited them-let's not tell her any differently). This year just the grandparents came over for dinner the Sunday before Asa's true birthday. One day, possibly next year, Asa will look at me and want something more but for now, the kid who likes rocks and straws was perfectly content.
However, even in my hands off approach to Asa's birthday, I did want to make a good dinner the day he actually turned 2. Something semi-homecooked with things that he likes. So I put on my invisible Betty Crocker outfit and decided on Matzo Ball Soup. You can just make the matzo balls and throw them into a cooked can of chicken noodle soup. Being the true warrior I am, I cut up fresh carrots, celery, and organic chicken breast, pre-cooked them, added them to chicken noddle soup, and then added some chicken broth. Being the first time I cooked this, I tasted it as I went and even I was impressed. The chicken and vegies had a nutritional touch I felt was important, but the canned portion added the noodles that Nick liked.
We were in the homestretch-I added the matzo balls to boiling soup and in 20 minutes dinner would be served.
Okay-I should have SIMMERED the soup because 10 minutes later I had burnt soup and half cooked matzo balls that smelled of burnt soup. The good news is I saved the pan. Our happy birthday dinner now consisted of frozen corndogs follwed by frozen tater tots. Feeding my son stuff that hadn't seen the light of day in maybe a year was not how I envisioned his second birthday. Have I mentioned before that I am grateful Asa's memory is limited?

1 comment:

T-girl said...

Isn't it funny how silly we Mommy's get over our babies birthdays? We won't even discuss Joci's B-days and me! We will just say... that was premedication! :)

Oh & No matter what, he will ALWAYS be you baby so don't worry on that! He will be 80 visiting you in the nursing home and you will think of him that way, just the way it is with us Mommies!