Monday, November 26, 2007

The New Environmentalism

Okay, for those of you wondering about the last Thanksgiving blog, which I was hoping no one would notice, note-never blog with a 2 year old around. I don't know what happened but Asa pressed something and there went the blog trolls posting nothing.

I was reading the newspaper a few days ago and I read an article about wood fireplaces. Apparently allergy suffer's are requesting that people not use these very much. And some environmentalist are joining the cause as a woodstove uses a precious commodity-wood. All that makes sense but it begs the question-how the hell am I suppose to heat my house?!?!?! If I use natural gas, coal, or oil, I am using a fossil fuel. If I use wood, I am using a renewable, albeit limited, resource. I could try solar, but in the Pacific NW, during winter, it would seem a little like gambling. Bio-diesal is being tossed around but then others complain that it compromises limted food sources in areas and more people could starve. I could fart a lot but than I would be contributing methane-or is that only cows? I really do care about the environment and I try to keep semi-abreast on new technology and theories, and I am sorry that people with allergies suffer. I am sorry that people without allergies suffer. But the hard, very cold truth is that some how I have to provide heat for my family, and I'd like to do it without someone looking at me askance. So what do you do? Is this what Environemntalism has brought us? To much information that causes us to cringe no matter what good action we try and take?

2 comments:

T-girl said...

Ok fine, while BURNING the wood is bad for the ozone... or so we think, we are not really sure though, burning wood is bad. What I don't get though is the people who are all "don't cut down the forrests" when cutting it down is actually GOOD for it! The other thing I don't get is those stupid ALF people who are SO agaianst cutting down trees because it is bad for the enviroment but have NO problem what-so-ever setting ginormous wood-cutting diesel equipement ablaze or bombing out buildings and all the other extra enviromentally freindly things they do to make their point. Seems kind of stupid to me considering what they are fighting for, not to meantion the lives that have been lost thanks to their antics... but hey, at least they saved a tree right? sigh, I really should not live in the NW I am such an anti-tree hugger type of person! LOL

AMJ said...

I totally agree with your sentiments, it is kind of a "damned if you do, damned if you don't" world these days. In the end, like everything else, you have to do what is right for you and your family.

And by the way t-girl, I hear spotted owl tastes just like chicken! ;)