Thursday, November 15, 2007

What If,,,

Last night Nick and I watched "Jumanji". This is a mid-1990's movie with Robin Williams and Bonnie Hunt, about a boy who gets caught in a board game. I don't want to spoil the ending but on the other hand, the ending is what got me thinking so watch out...I am going to spoil the ending. This boy who gets caught in the game basically gets out 25 years later, a grown man. They finish the game and he goes back to being a kid again, essentially repeating his life. So if I got to repeat my life, knowing what I know now, what would I do over?
In all honesty, I think the only thing I would change is that I would have been an exchange student in college. I still kick myself that I was in such a hurry to get out, that I was afraid to take 6 months, or even a year, and travel. What was my hurry? What did I get for graduating in a certain time frame?
I know a lot of people will be surprised to hear this, and please don't be shocked, but I have made a lot of mistakes. I have said things I regret. I have passed on opportunities I wish I had taken advantage of. There are points of my life I let fear decide my options. But the reality is, every mistake, every emotioanl battle scar, and every blunder has led me to who I am today. Okay, maybe I am not so hot. I could stand to lose 20 pounds, improve my temper, and I have become incredibly impatient. But I am a pretty good friend, becoming a better cook, and I pick up litter so I think it all balances out. Besides, if I had gone to college in Arizona, would I have met the friends I have today? Would I have been able to date Nick? If I had bought a new car instead of used car in 1998, would I be more in debt today? If I had decided to have kids the minute Nick and I married, would we have withstood the pressure of parenthood as newlyweds and still be married today? The "What If.." game is tricky because each decision we take affects other decisions we make. Like a rock thrown in a pond, we have no idea how far the ripples will go.
The other thing I honestly believe: until I take my last breath, just about anything is a possibility. Right now, I have no interest in running the Boston Marathon. But maybe when I am 80 years old, I will be out there with my walker patiently taking each step until I reach the finsh line and can say "I did the Boston Marathon". Maybe that is why I have few regrets-I know I can still accomplish my goals.
Oh yeah, and if I did go back, I would buy less neon in the early '80's, and have shorter bangs in the late '80's. I don't care what the fashion would be, some things I refuse to do again.

1 comment:

T-girl said...

Yeah, I agree: change one thing, change them all. So theroretically I might say or do something different the fact is, I would not want to give up the things I have now!!!!!

That being said... I might have laid off on the Aquanet during the bangs so high you can take off and fly days and MAYBE, just maybe mind you, I MIGHT have not decided to wear my hair in a side ponytail during a particular trip to California that makes me cring when I see the pictures... on second thought, there is no maybe about that one!! LOL