Monday, December 17, 2007

Family Part 2

Nick and I get comments all the time-are we having a second baby? Sure-if you could pick one up at Wal-mart I might do it tommorrow. The truth of the matter is that a second baby is almost as big a lifestyle change as the first one. For starters, I lose my guest room. I would also have to go back to work full-time not to mention the demands on our time as kids get older and start joining sports, clubs, etc. I am not saying I am unwilling-only that it is tough decision.
None of which is made easier by the fact I have a 2 year old running around. The best form of birth control-a 2 year old. One night, Nick says to me that he is ready to discuss the possibility of a second child. Great-I only need 15 minutes to get Asa to bed. I come downstairs and my response is met by a snore-daddy is asleep. Same thing happened the next night. So that weekend we agree after the movie we are watching is over, we will discuss baby number two. I am asleep by the time the movie is over. Asa takes a lot of energy. I guess we could make it a bigger priority but it is hard to want to sit and talk about a baby when the advertisement for children is running around my house screaming "no" and carrying around a blanket and stuffed animal that Nick says smells like "monkey butt". Serioulsy, after spending 45 minutes in the breezeway of a restraunt so Asa's temper trantum wouldn't bother the other diners all I could think was "why does my mother hate me so much she wants me to suffer twice as much as I am now?" I love my son, and I won't trade him in for anything, but I could mother a dog and get something that might actually listen to me.
The grandparents one ray of hope is that I don't think the world needs another "only son" (no offense dad, Uncle Hal, Nick, Ryan, and Grandpa Pete.) That and I imagine our household when my kids would be about 8 and 11. Things might not be so bad then-or they could be worse. It is best not to go down that path after all. I just have to keep my reminding myself that nothing lasts forever and that includes diapers, whining, and best friends that smell like monkey butt. So just so it is official: in response to are we having another baby I reply with confidence-maybe.

1 comment:

T-girl said...

AMEN GIRL!!!! AMEN!!!