Wednesday, January 28, 2009

The Smell Of Clean

Last week, our area had some fo the worst windstorms I have seen in a good long while. Wind gusts topped 50 mph plus, we lost power three times in 2 days, and we also lost our dishwasher and brand new tv to a power surge. We have 2 children-my husband was comforting and touched we brought forth life but I thought the busted tv was going to make him cry. Luckily, the tv can be fixed but the dishwasher has gone to the big sink in the sky.
So as head chef, kp detail fell to me-of course. Who knew I could bring being anal to a new form. Washing dishes by hand doesn't bother me, per se. I am a Girl Scout and very resourceful. Fill sink with hot, sudsy water, rinse, worry that the dishes have unseen mold, fill sink with cold water and bleach, soak, rinse, worry that we are going to ingest bleach, rinse again, sniff, worry that bleach smell could be the dish in my hand or coming from the sink, rinse again and again and again, sniff again. Rinse one more time for good measure. Get mad at self for being so weird about dishes, just wash, think about mold, bleach, get mad at self for being so anal, rinse 10 more times. Guess who is the happiest the new dishwasher is installed?!?!?!?! I did my first load and damned if those dishes don't look and feel so clean!!! I did a private little dance (well, the kids saw) and reminded myself that it wasn't like I was competeing with Stalin for the Wacky Title. If I am weird about dishes, doesn't it really matter? At least everyone now knows that my dishes, no matter what, are safe to eat off of.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love you Dena, you and your quirks (aka craziness).
Although I'm still not sure I can trust the cleanliness of your plates - I don't know where your bleach or water have been. :) SR

AMJ said...

Honey, you know I love you, you are my sister, I have no choice........;) However, maybe you spent TOO much time at Girl Scout Camp. Something I never thought possible. And the dishes maybe safe but what about the food on them?! Hmmmmm......?!

Love you!

Dena said...

You can run, but you can't hide from family. Yes, AMJ-you make a valid point and I am laughing as I write this-it might be safer to eat the dishes than my cooking.