Tuesday, April 24, 2007

A couple months ago I was talking to some mom's who have young children and they bemoaned the fact that they don't seem to have a hobby. Hobby? A hobby infers you have free time but I was reminded of these conversations as I looked at my closet and I looked at my laundry basket. I have a hobby, I just hate it! Laundry seems to take up all my free time. My son either spits, drools, leaks (I won't say where but it is gross), or snots on my clothes. I am sure he is a secret agent for some major laundry deterregent. We seem to burn through cleaner quicker than the candy bars hidden in the frig-and that's saying something. My son is very clever about what he leaves behind on me too. Running late I put on the first pair of pants I could find only to discover a dark, crusty spot when I scratched my thigh. Sure it blended in, which is how I missed it in the first place, but how can I feel like a compentent adult knowing there is a mysterious substance located on my person that I am hoping doesn't start to smell? Plus there are the nice things I never wear. Anything that has to be dry cleaned is in storage and I look at my wool sweaters and silk tops like I am Ingrid Bergman leaving Humphrey Bogart in "Casablanca". Everytime I see a well dressed woman with kids in tow I want to ask her "Are those kids yours or for show because you look clean". Although why anyone would walk around with fake kids is beyond me. Maybe us mom's look cooler than we think. Lesson has been learned though-all clothes get washed by default so no secret crusty spots. Of course that leads me to more laundry. Good thing I love my son to pieces or he would be in a hazmat suit labeled "beware-leaks constantly".

3 comments:

Katie said...

Oh I KNOOOOWWWW! Isn't it crazy how much clothes they go through...and make YOU go through? Yesterday, Emma had on 4 different outfits...this post gave me the best laugh!

T-girl said...

AMEN! I USE to look kind of cool! Now, why bother! However, I always wonder how she manages to miss herself in her sloppy endevours but never me! Do I honestly look so uncool now that I look like a hanky? What happened between conception and birth that I was not aware of?

Katie... OMG! Mine too! I swear she goes through more clothes then anyone I have EVER meet! That is saying a lot if you knew me in hs! LOL At two I have to give her OPTIONS! OPTIONS! of what to wear or stop the whole friggin world!

AMJ said...

LOL!!!! I know every time I get caught up on laundry I tell everyone that they are to go naked from now on. And although the kids think this would be a lot of fun, I don't follow through for propriety sake! As for picking out clothes t-girl, I hear you! S. did not care until he was three, but he won't get dressed now unless it is he wants to wear! Thanks for the laugh! I will be chuckling all the way to the laudry room!