Friday, April 20, 2007

Solidarity

So I went to lunch and made the mistake of looking at the newspaper. As a sports fan, when you here another school in the news you automatically boooo. Maybe not out loud but in your head, you think your team could whip their ass, even if it isn't true. But when the headline is a tragedy, like Virginia Tech experienced, sports rivalry goes out the window and you become a parent/concerned citizen. Every textbook I have ever looked at will give me a timeline as to when my son stopped being a baby. But when he brings me my first grandchild, in my head I will say "good job baby". Our children grow and change, but their place in our hearts remains the same and to everyone who lost a baby at Viriginia Tech, my heart hurts for you.
As with all tragedies on this scope, we come togther as a nation to help those who need it, and to remember how fragile we all are. Pointing fingers is fun and easy but it solves nothing and helps no one. Say an extra prayer today for the grieving, give a warm smile to someone looking down, and appreciate the loved ones in your life-whether they are related by blood or just stuck by you in thick and thicker. I don't know the exact quote so forgive me for butchering but Mother Theresa said something to the effect that she couldn't change the world but she could certainly make her corner of it better. Let's all strive to make our corner of the world a better place for everyone.
Best wishes and a healing pray from an old Duck fan and a new Hoakie in Oregon.

2 comments:

Katie said...

Oh Dena, I felt the very same way...how do we protect our children from people like that? There is no rule, it is just random...how terribly lonely and bleak was that boy who did it...

Dena said...

Katie-
It is a scary world and I don't know that i agree with my father-in-law but he told Nick once that maybe we are already in hell and just don't know it. Just the thought of something happening to a child, mine or someone else's, makes me all panicky. But I often think in times of trouble, sadness, major holidays, and almost everyday-there for the grace of God go I. And then I give thanks every night for the health and safety of friends and families in my prayers. What else can we do?