Monday, January 28, 2008

My Cooking Class

So many people have asked about my cooking calss that I thought I would blog about to save some time (and yes, be lazy).
Keep in mind that this was a vegetarinism class, which I took because I figured I can add beef or chicken to things if I want and it never hurts to learn new things.
Also, this was a local, community college class and not an expensive class taught at a specific culinary school. The immdediate difference, other than location, is about $150, with my class being the cheaper alternative.
So what I didn't like:
Obviously the guy was a vegitarian and I expected that but his soap box got old. He was quick to point out the rumors that soy is bad for you are wrong since the Asian Culture has been eating for thousands of years and they have the longest, average life span. He failed to add that they also eat beef. He also mentioned that the Creator has all these plants that are so good for us and nutritous that we don't need animal products. Um, it was under my impression that the Creator also gaves us cows-or did I miss the alien memo? Anyway, since I paid for this class knowing full well it was all vegie, I thought it rude to challenge the teacher. And he was a nice guy who was willing to answer all my questions. But he just re-inforced my opinion that all food industries are one-sided. The soy people say beef is bad the and the beef people say soy is bad when the reality is, both are nutritious, and have a place at mealtimes.

What I Liked:
I learned a lot!! Not only about vegie products but what some terms mean, how to freeze real lemon juice, plus how to cook a few tasty soups (I would add ham though to the split pea soup). I tried everything, which was hard for me, but I felt it not only polite but a part of the class I paid for and a part of the experience. And even if I opt not to cook things with tofu, I least have a basic understanding of the nutritutional value and it is option if I ever change my mind (same can be said for tempeh). These classes are typically offered every term and I hope to take another one in the future.

No comments: