Saturday, May 17, 2008

An Advertisement

Okay, I have bitched about Science so much that I owe them a nice blog for once. Science has done something's right, and one of them was proving the Ancient Egyptians weren't crazy.
A pregnant woman generally pick's up every piece of germ coming down the pipeline. Granted, I know a few who didn't, but the immune system tends to be supressed so it doesn't reject the fetus as a giant, super germ. So after picking up most of the crap that comes your way, you then find out that your choices for medicine are limited, with decongestant's and other cold remedies being huge no-no's. Another way of natural birth control? I have my suspicions.
But pregnant or not, I use the same thing I always use and that is good, old, truly ancient HONEY. That is my plug today-Honey.
DISCLAIMER: NEVER GIVE HONEY TO CHILDREN UNDER ONE. THEY CAN GET BOTULISM.
Children with a cough, given a tsp. of honey before bedtime, slept better and got better faster than children given a cold medicine or a placebo.
Cuts that were treated with honey healed faster and with less infection.
Okay, I am not putting honey on my skin. Sticky, sticky, yuck. But 80% of my colds start of with a sore throat, and if I drink tea with honey (1/8-1/4 cup per mug), once in the morning and once at night for a few days, I don't get the cold. Since January, three major colds have made the rounds of husband, kid, and all 4 grandparents and I haven't gotten one yet. I now give Asa honey even though he gets sticky-no matter how much I watch him. How do kids do that?!?!? But anyway, my point is that as the pregnant one I should be the sickiest and I haven't been.
I may not be a doctor in real life but I play one on tv... no seriously, I love this stuff as a cold rememdy. And any honey works. As a honey snob, I tend to go organic, with different flavors but in a pinch I used Wal-Mart honey and got the same results, so there you go.
SECOND DISCLAIMER: HONEY DOES NOT MAKE YOU FEEL BETTER. Those sore throats do not get relief from honey. It's just that in a few days, instead of getting a runny nose and itchy eyes, I just have nothing. The few times I wasn't able to get honey before the cold set in, I spent three days feeling miserable-instead of a week that a cold usually takes to go through our system. Honey helps heal but it does not relieve my aches and pains.
The great thing too about honey is that it is cheaper than cold medicine, more natural, works better, and is easy to find. Of course, the collapse of the bee colonies has me nervous for more reasons than one, but for now, honey is still my first choice.
Science can probably tell you what exactly it is that honey does, but honestly, I don't care. I just know it works, and Sience hsa been able to prove it.

1 comment:

The Girl Next Door said...

Honey is anti-viral and anti-fungal!!!! THAT is why it works! I know you did not ask but I told you anyways! Most likely you get better results from Organic honey as it has not been pasturized which kills the anti effects. However, it also is loaded with lots of yummy vitamines that have also been proven to help with colds. SO, you drink all the honey you want but don't be suprised if your kid comes out as a bummble bee! LOL

Another remedy is garlic. Works GREAT on ear infections, colds, etc. While you can just cut a clove and stick it in an ear, or mix it with honey and chew it (this releases the chemical that makes it work), it tends to stink and be a bit too much so I have started using the capsules. Just make sure it has... crap I can't remember what it is called, something with an A...Alicine or some such. Seriously I get ear infections a LOT and I will pop a capsule and squeeze it in my ear and it dissappears with hours. I learned this trick when I was pregnant and found out that no you can not take ear drops!!! Don't know why but the pharmasist was all kinds of crazy about that one so garlic and I bonded! Smelled so bad no one would come near me either but that may have been an excuse to get away from my pregnant hormones! LOL Anyways works great on the kids too as half the time they come down with ear infections at some obscene hour like 1am. By the morning when you can get them to the doctor it is gone! Also the garlic oil in the capsules soothes the pain so they go back to sleep!