Friday, May 16, 2008

The Title Is Irrelevant

I hope, hope, hope, that Erin doesn't mind that I am not only mentioing her by name, but I am going to write a blog inspired by her-all without her permission. Who says Girl Scouts can't be rebels? My apologies if you find this offensive Erin.
Erin writes a blog about a lot of things, but one frequent topic is step-parenting. Okay, obvisouly, I can't comment on being a step-parent. Never been one, so it is kind of like Tom Cruise offering advice on Post-Partum. And we all know what I think of that. But reading her blog has taught me much about not only Erin herself, but the position she is in.
Having been an educator, counselor, teacher, teacher's aide, and a couple other titles, I know about being around other people's kids. I have done overnights, held my tongue on views I disagree with, and even got to hold out my hand as one girl cracked a tooth and spit the pieces out for me. I truly have a felt like a by-stander in other people's lives, and yet there I was: responsible for the health and welfare of their little darling.
But this is what Erin has taught me-we all play a role in a child's life. We all are important. It is fun to say that the parents yield the most influence-and unfortnately it is the truth. Example-A friend who is a former meth-addict took up the drug to have something in common with her dad. Ouch. But all adults in our lives, blood or otherwise, impact us.

*The aunt who taught me about travel and fun, while working hard.
*The scout leader who taught me about different lifestyles without being preachy.
*The mom who was a widow and still raising a daughter showed me perserverance.
*The great-aunt who was actually nice-I thought all old women were crotchity and mean until I met her.
*The mom who played video games-I realized that age is just a number. We don't "clock out" and give up the things we love because of birth dates.
*The mom who had her daughter at 18-I wasn't going down that road.
*The mom who kept her house spotless-I wasn't going down that road either!

There are a hundred little moments from my childhood were I looked at an adult and thought "wow" Maybe I thought they were stupid, maybe I liked their spirit, but either way, they left an impression on me. And I know from friends that my mom left an impression on them. So it makes me wonder who is watching me? Because that is how kids are-they are the ultimate spy-master, catching us when we mess up, say a cuss word, or accidentally spit. Their timing is impeccable.
What this means is that if you are an aunt, step-parent, scout leader, church leader, friend of a person with kids, teacher, human being, etc., you are being watched and making an impact. Kids are listening to your views, watching you eat, and forming opinions on your attitude. Reminds me of cockroaches, but the reality is, kids are always there and always present, somewhere. You are not unimportant in the life of a child and while parents may get the credit, a lot of times the glory goes to those who earned it. Ask my mom-four people have told me she is there role model for being a grown up and none of them related by blood. Role models matter, wherever we find them. And thanks for reminding me of that Erin.

1 comment:

Erin said...

I don't mind at all :-)