Friday, May 23, 2008

Indiana Jones

Okay, I did the total geek and went and saw the latest Indiana Jones movie last night. I made my old mother catch the 10:30p showing, which made me feel like a total rebel since it was a "school night". Ahh, how things change. Only about 40 people there!!!! I thought the Nerd Patrol would take the day off and go to a late night showing, but no matter-more room for us.
I promise not to ruin anything, but I will mention stuff I have read in other articles so if you want to be completely in the dark, read no further.
I liked the movie, disliked the plot.
Come on-this is Indiana Jones regardless of how long it has been. I hope my husband looks that good when he is 60 plus. Smart as can be, geeky beyond all get out, and that hat...if you like Indiana Jones go. Besides, it is still better than "Temple of Doom", even with some faults.
But this is not Raiders of the Lost Ark. Nothing can bring back that era, that newness of "wow, it is a guy running from a giant rock with spiders down his back". And I am not 10 anymmore, when I barely knew what the plot was but watching the bad guys melt was pretty neat.
I was disappointed about their loosey-goosey use of facts, and the basis of their plot. I was hugely disappointed that there was no mention of Sala-John Rhys-Davies. I heard he had a falling out with someone-Lucas, Spielberg-I don't know who. But after being a major character in the two best Indiana movies, he should have been at least mentioned, because as a fan, it wasn't the same without him.
Nice tributes though to both Denholm Elliot (Marcus Brody), and Sean Connery. And some great script that had me and mom laughing out loud. And "Indiana's" acknowledgement of his age adds a lot of credence to the movie because if they hadn't done that, he would have looked pathetic trying to be something he isn't. Instead, you are left feeling like yes, this man is his age, and still good. Cate Blanchett is FABULOUS in her role. This is why she is an Academy Award winner-I would never have known it was her if not for the credits. Shia Lebouf also does a good job. And while they were loose with facts in this movie, some of their other usage of historical facts was cool.
Is this the Indiana Jones of yester yore-no way. Is this movie worth seeing-you betcha!

No comments: