Friday, July 18, 2008

My Take On My Book

I mentioned in my last blog, that I am reading Barack Obama's book, "Dream of My Father". I actually have wanted to read this for a very long time, but once he announced his candidacy for Presidency, it was his second book I kept finding, and not the first. This first book is about his experience growing up bi-racial, in various parts of the US and when he lived in Indonesia as a young boy.
First off, I am only about half way through.
Second, this book has been severely mis-quoted by both Liberals and Conservatives. As with any book, there are some areas open for interpretation. But I have read in newspaper columns that this book proves Obama is a flaming liberal, recovering drug addict, supports Islamic Terrorists because he is Muslim, and openly hates white people. I can't speak for Obama, but none of that is found in the book, regardless of what you think of him personally.

This is not the first book on...I guess for lack of a better word, African-American History I have read. I read bio's on Thurgood Marshall and Medgar Evers. I read James McBrides "The Color of Water" before it became so well known. I think I read "Cane River" before Oprah did. Especially with Thurgood Marshall's bio, I read first hand accounts have how hard the NAACP struggled in those early years, and some people would argue how they still struggle. But life, for all of us regardless of color, race, religion, or creed, is such an individual and personally journey that I wanted to read this man's take on growing up in the circumstances he did.
The book makes me sad and isn't so much about Obama but some of his personal observations, if that makes any sense. I don't agree with all that he says, and even though this book was written before he was even elected to the Illinois Senate, I can tell he is covering his butt for the future. I can't say I blame him; it just takes away from the story. You write about how much fun you and your friend had throwing rocks in a pond on a summer day and someone from the opposite party will make sure to let the world know that you not only particpate in animal cruelty but you also destory environmental habitats with your slovenly ways. Welcome to the year of an election-twisting words around for all to hear. Don't admit to youthful mistakes, misteps, or wrong directions because according to the uninformed voter, anything you did when you were 5 could be, and will be held against you.
What makes me sad is his take on race relations in America and as much as I want to disagree with him that color doesn't matter, and we should all jsut get along, the truth is, we don't. And it isn't about regions or areas, or maybe rural areas are more prejudice than sophisticated urbanites. It is just people-we don't get along like we should.
Every "group" has a hurt. And I know many of them can actively point to racism or just plain ignorance. Hispanic's complain about not enough representation, African-Americans complain about profiling, Women talk about the glass ceiling and pay ineaquity. The Irish can point to the lack of jobs and blatant hatred of Catholicism, Jews can say the same thing. Eastern Europeans were historically treated with scorn and derision when they arrived and those coming from that area today talk of the same problems. Do you see where I am going with this?
Man's inhumanity against Man (or should I say Human's inhumanity against Human) is legendary, long standing, and currently continuing today.
So what makes me sad about Obama's book is that the groups he talks about all seem to be shouting the same thing-mistreatment. And they are right-I am not denying that. It just frustrates me that through all the pain, and loss of hope and dignity, people don't see that that is our common bond. We have all been trampled on, kicked around, and treated like dirt somewhere in our history. It is, unfortunately, our common thread. And instead of striving to end the barbaric practice of trying to be the strongest and not be trampled on, we just keep pointing the finger that another race is to blame, and then claim to be the one most hurt. What we should be doing is working together to take out the bullies of every race, religion, and creed that exist. Sme fo worst deaths due to Mexican illegal immigration have come at the hands of other Hispanics supposedly helping their own. And James McBride talks about his Jewish mother's beatings at the hands of her father, his grandfather. No group of people is immune from their own personal assholes.
I am reminded of a scene from "Brighton Beach Memoirs", a movie from the '80's when Blythe Danner tells her movie sister that nobody had it worse than her Jewish parents, and her sister says that the Irish neighbors have their own hurts-are their families less important that it doesn't matter the pain they have suffered?
Sooooooo, "Dreams of My Father" is so far a fine book, but I wish it weren't so true in places.
Let me be corny-"What the world needs now, is love, sweet love. It's the only thing tht there's jsut to little of."

2 comments:

Aaron said...

Nobody would accuse Obama of not being ambitious. For chrissakes, he threw his hat in for president during his first senate term... as a black guy whose middle name is hussein. That alone takes some stones.

But if I were writing a book thinking I might run for prez someday, I would not admit a damn thing, much less that I "did blow".

The Girl Next Door said...

OH! MY! GOD! I know why I love you so... we are the only two people in the free world, and probably not so free also, who can quote Brighton Beach Memoirs! Seriously one of Neil Simmons BEST works and one of my absolutly FAVORITE plays/movies ever!!!!! I OWN that baby, have made every guy I have ever dated watch it, then kicked him to the curb when he didn't get it!

As for the rest, the problem is that we as a Nation, Society, World as a whole have become so entrenched in our "identity" through some many ways that make not a lick of a difference what-so-ever that it has become many peoples total or main sense of self.

The fact is, I am a white "Irish Catholic" American woman (wow, based on your list I am like so in the bin of "hate" huh? LMAO)but those things, while may have a small influence, only have the influance I allow them and are not indicative of WHO I am.

To many people in this world are so consumed with all the negative things in life, focusing on why they are a "victim" that they can not see how their own actions or behaviors are contributing their "victimization!" One is only a victim if they choose to become one.

I have known MANY people from MANY walks of life in my short time on this earth and the ones that stand out to me are the ones who no matter what their race or creed have the self respect and possitve attitude about THEMSLEVES that have stood out.

I do not fall into the hype of "we are owed" because last time I check I have never owned slaves (unless you count my kid and even then I really am convinced she owns me! LOL), incarcarated, killed or commited anyother atrocity that people like to refrence happening to thier ancestors as their right for something now. Hell, there are VERY few people in this country who have EVER experienced something as attrocious as many of these people claim as their right and those I have met who actually have experienced some HORRIABLE atrocities are not out stricking up the band at their misfortune.

Like the "Angry Faminist" in this country the whole "angry blackman" has done as much if not more damage for the black community! By saturating your community in negativity you are doing nothing but keeping yourselves in a conflictive state in my opinion! But what do I know, I am just a white Irish Catholic American woman!

I am going to have to check this book out though, it is a good way to get some insight into our canidates. (Oh and btw- that whole "muslim" thing has always bothered me with him. The man was born to a father who was African, I can't remember which country right now, but raised by his mother and Indo Step-father. Considering all the damn hoop-la over his pastor, you would think people would let that one die. The whole sins of the father, sins of the son thing really bothers me, it is the same/opposite side as above I suppose. What does someone's damn religion matter anyways? The media did the same damn thing to Joseph Leiberman, total bullshit in my book!)

Ok, I REALLY babbled. Sorry, you got me thinking! LOL