Monday, October 22, 2007

Food, Food-The Magical Fruit?

A few months ago I wrote about my take on feeding my son, and it sparked some very fun, and informative, side conversations. With that in mind, I wanted to share about a book I am currently reading. "The Omnivore's Dilemma" by Michael Pollan has been an extremely informative book on food systems in the United States as they stand today. This is an industry that is experiencing enourmous change, so this book should be out of date within a few years.
I am only half way through, but so far I have learned about our dependence on corn, the life of animals in feed lots, and a bit about the working life of farmers. It is absolutley true that you are what you eat and this book brings that concept home. I tell you what-I won't promise to never eat another Chicken McNugget from the golden arches but I no longer call them "food" either, let alone chicken, and it will be awhile before I let my lips, or my son's lips, touch one. I am a proud omnivore and I was grossed out.
Am I dismayed by what I am "uncovering" reagrding my food? Not really. If you are familiar with Upton Sinclair, you will remember that he wrote a similar expose regarding the Chicago meat plants in the last century. Did you know it used to be legal to bulk up ground hamburger with sawdust? Yum. The hard, cold truth is that we are a capitalist society, for better or for worse. We as consumers have always demanded cheaper products and Industry will deliver. They aren't a social service, they aren't charity workers-they are out for a buck. And that is true of just about everything. It is MY JOB as the consumer to be aware of who is taking me for what ride. I have the right to demand better, I have the right to not buy a certain product. And this book will give you ideas as to what product you really want to support.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dena,

I'm so glad you're reading this book! I read it earlier this year and absolutely loved it!!!! And I learned so much. I, too, feel more and more empowered with information like this and I realize how many aspects of our food system my buying choices affect.

Jill

T-girl said...

I can't read stuff like this, it just gives me panic attacks. When I was working all I could think about was FOOD, eating it and not eating it, how to eat, when to eat it, hell what to eat in what way... it was bad. It honestly to God caused anxiety attacks!