Monday, March 24, 2008

My Gift To Nick

Okay, I read Dear Amy in the newspaper. It used to be Ann Landers but she passed away and Amy got the job. So someone writes in that the MOST precious gift a girl can give her husband is to be a virgin on their wedding night. Amy answered appropriately enough that BOTH girls AND boys need to be responsible with their sexual lives. Okay, I am not going into details here; this is a public space AND numerous family members from both Nick and I read this blog. But it is enough to say here that, that comment pissed me off. In addition to being sexist, antiquadated, and completely untrue from a historical context (7 month old "preemies" are as old as the hills), it was just so stupid.
Nick gave me two of the most precious gifts before we got married, and I returned them. Marriage made it legal-it didn't change our feelings. The two most precius gifts we gave each other was our promise to be faithful and our promise to weather the good times and the bad. The faithful one has been easier than I thought-Nick and I aren't social and we both have the delusion that most people are stupid. It helps. But weathering the good AND bad times is tough, even if counting just from the day we got married. In the last 7 1/2 years we have had numerous deaths, one sudden job loss, bought a house, and had kids. Okay, some of those we invited the stress in-namely in the name of Asa and Fetus number 2. But still, I need a guy by my side who will not up and clean out the checking account and leave me with 2 of his spawn.
I am a realist-promising something in a vow is way easy. Actions are what matter and granted we have only had 7 1/2 years, we have done really good (there is still time to screw up, although I like to think we will never go down that path). Our wedding night is over and done with and compromised less than 24 hours of our entire marriage. So what matters more-one night or a lifetime? Call me a selfish *&%#$ but I want the lifetime.

1 comment:

The Girl Next Door said...

Lovely! I agree! While yes I would love to think of my little girl NEVER having sex (it is the Mommy of a girl thing and wanting to keep her cute and my little bee) at the same time I am all about teaching her to be honest with herself and SAFE so I will not preach the absinence and nothing else technique. In fact I think it is irresponsible to teach it!

Yes, you are right... don't you just love those words! ;)