Thursday, March 20, 2008

Whining, whining, whining

So a blog is like an on-line diary, and in this blog, I am going to treat it as such. So there is a lot of complaining and whining this time, and if that doesn't sound like your cup of tea, don't read any further.
I keep getting a lot of compliments about how I have been able to keep my weight down. Pregnant women are notorious for gaining a lot of weight and at 4 1/2 months I have yet to gain a single pound. I was the same way with Asa; I started gaining a little after 5 months. Why you ask?
As with the last pregnancy, dairy makes me sick. Not-ohh, I think my stomach is upset. More like-block my path to the toilet and YOU will be sorry for the mess on your shoes. It sucks. It is temporary, but it sucks, and this is were my newfound understanding of food allergies comes in.
When I tell people I can't have dairy, and it isn't in my head, most people reply with "no milk, huh?". Yes, no milk. From there, about 50% of my listeners will get the fact that I can't have pizza. Very good. But those two items are just the tip of the iceberg my friend. The obvious ones are milk, cheese, ice cream, cottage cheese, and butter. But think of what those biggies are added to:
*Cheesecake
*Pies (butter in the crust)
*Pasta with cream sauce/or cheese (pasta period can be tricky since many people cook it with butter
*Anything breaded, including fish sticks, schnitzel, shrimp, and gizzards from Safeway (yum!)
*Chocolate (even most dark chocolate has some milk)
*90% of the frozen meals out there (even the cup o'noodles has dairy-and I thought they were mostly stryrofoam)
*About 50% of the bread items out there have dairy, so I have to read the label carefully ( this includes loaves, bagels, english muffins, waffles, pancakes, and muffins)
*yogurt
*anything made with cream of... mushroom, chicken, or celery soup
*salad dressing is tricky-many companies add milk to make them creamy
Even that list looks short but call it by it's street name and the list grows: I can't have macaroni and cheese, stuffed ravioli's, chocolate chip cookies, candy bars with chocolate, my favorite mushroom soup, cheeseburgers, anything from Arby's or Wendy's that I would be willing to eat anyways(must be dairy in the buns), Dorito's, Cheeto's, any chip flavor with sour cream in the title, blintzes (the filling is cottage cheese), crepes (dairy in the batter), cinnamon rolls, scrambled eggs (most places add milk to make them fluffy), and I really have to watch toppings. I mean, sure I can eat the bake potato but what is a bake potato without sour cream, butter, and cheese? I can eat a taco, but again, a taco with no cheese or sour cream is a bit bland. Asian restraunts are tricky-one I know tastes great, but they bread everything. Another uses milk in their sauces. Sigh. Pasta-a-roni and Rice-a-roni are out (not that they are the best thing to eat anyway) and so is my favorite salad dressing-Paul Newman's Honey Mustard.
I know it could be worse-I knew someone who couldn't keep anything down for all 9 months and had to have IV infusions 4-5 times a week just to stay hydrated. And when all was said and done with Asa, I weighed 10 pounds less when I started the whole endeavor. That was nice. But I would give it all up for a piece of pizza and a chocolate malt. Mmmmmm.

PS-Yes, I know about soy, goat milk, and some other alternatives. So far they have upset my stomach or taste totally gross. But I have kept an open mind and at least tried them. Goat milk yogurt just doesn't float my boat.

PPS-This is what I can remember RIGHT NOW. When I look at a menu, or try to make a meal, more things will just pop right out at me.

2 comments:

The Girl Next Door said...

Coffeemate non dairy creamer. My brother-in-law is deathly alergic to milk (we are not talking lactose intolerence here but an actually throat will swell up and he die allergy) Also for your chocolate cravings Duncan Hines cake mix is milk product free and I believe it is pilsbury frosting that is milk free but I could be wrong, my SIL said they added milk to their cake mix so it may not work now, check the lables I know one of them is milk free.

I am so sorry you got aflicted with this again. Be careful of products with whey also as that is a milk product (that is probably what is in noodles like topramen etc that is getting you).

I am trying to remember all the things from the BIL but my mind is blank. Think of it this way though, you are the only person I know who gets pregnant to lose weight! LMAO You poor thing. Can you take calcium suppliments? If so make sure you are taking them, your bones will thank you for it.

Ok, Tanya the nutritionist is leaving now!

The Girl Next Door said...

He uses Coffeemate on his cereal etc just like regular milk. Granted he has never had milk (well except for accidently and the one time when he was a baby and scared about 20 years off his mothers life. Seriously the story is reallys scary! LOL) but even my SIL says it is not too bad. It is thick not watery tasting from my understanding. It is a bit sweeter (mroe like whole milk) but not bad I am told. Also there is a frosting mix (it is like the Jiffy brands, I can't remember if it actually IS jiffy or not) that is milk free and is actually really good. I used it for Joci's birthday cake last year (I always make sure he can participate) and it was a huge hit with everyone, in fact I got compliments on it. I used the vanilla flavor though, I can't remember if the chocolate was as good to go. You could make chocolate out of the vanilla though by adding non-sweet then adjusting the sugar etc. They have it at Winco in the cake section (not sure if Freddies, Safeway etc have it as I have never looked there).

Oh and I will send you an EM from my other EM addy, you should have it though, I sent one out a few months ago from it titled "new EM addy" or some such. I think the EM I sent you the other day from the hotmail account had it on it also, I wrote it in... I think. I meant to if I did not! ROTFL Sigh, when are you going to be out here again. I have that pict of our two on the fridge (at the beach) and Joci is bugging me about going to the beach with her friend again! LMAO Seriously, like daily I get "Mama, go beach with friend" and a point at the picture. I need to go out to the outlet also, maybe we can meet up in the next month or so, if I have money that is... or a damn job!