Thursday, February 12, 2009

For The Holiday-Still

You can't tell, but I have sat down to work on this blog three different times! It was suppose to be something for St. Valentines and since we are still in the right month, I am going to go for it. But if I sound like I am hopelessly behind, it is because I am.
I was asked if I thought of former "loves". Yep, sure do. Do I wonder about the roads I didn't travel? Yep, sure do. Any regrets? No, not when it comes to relationships. I don't have to edit this part of my life for a family blog-all the "loves" of my life, inclduing those that I engaged in orginal sin with can be counted on one hand, with missing fingers. You can call me a bitch and a book addict but a slut is way off base.
Do I still love the guy I went out with in high school. Yep. I believe in high school romance, and I believe teenagers can fall in love because I sure did-big time. But I love the 16 year old I knew. I have no idea what he his like now, if he is even a worthy human being. 20 years is a long time to change and grow.
So how do I know I love my husband? When I think of Mr. High School, I wonder what became of him. When I think of my husband, the father of my children, and the man I have built a life with, I can't help but smile. I am smiling as I write this! I can be totally pissed at "Mr. Wonderful", and if I think of him, I smile. Because the truth is, while no one has made me as mad as he has, no other man has brought me as much joy either. He is rude, crass, totally honest, and makes me laugh like no other. We have different hobbies, different likes, and even had different ideas on what to name our sons. And I love him to bits. Only God knows why.
So on St. Valentines Day, Nick knows better than to get me flowers or chocolates-of which both I disdain. He agrees to go to a musuem with me in honor of the 150th anniversary of Oregon statehood.
Cost of push-up bra to help boobs feel attractive-$25
Cost of typical girly things loser ex-boyfriend from college would bought-$50
Getting your husband to do something he hates because he loves you-priceless

1 comment:

Katie said...

That is true love! I loved this post, Dena :)