Saturday, April 18, 2009

Cheap Entertainment-Part VII

This is starting to look like a horror movie series-how high can I go?!?! Cheap Stuff Part MM? (That's 2,000.)
I missed my deadline this week because I took the kids to visit a friend in Central Washington. We had a great time seeing new sights, and new sites, visiting friends, and watching cows and horses. Hey, I have city kids-we don't see those animals on a daily basis.
So once again, I am going to pull from personal experience and talk about traveling-on the cheap.
Our three-day jaunt costs us under $100 for myself and 2 kids. If daddy had been able to come, we still would have been under $100 as gas was our primary expense. Granted, it takes loving and understanding friends to travel this way-staying at someone else's home is the cheapest way to travel period. But if you have such a connection, use it. My kids saw different eco-systems, animals, and people. We went to Ft. Simcoe, which made my geeky side very happy, and it didn't cost us anything but gas. Plus, Ft. Simcoe had a playground, which made Asa the Rambunctious very happy too. We watched tractors, another cheap activity not always available in our hometown, and we got to play with the family dog, yet another cheap activity my young kids loved. And I got to talk with a friend-a cheap activity for mommy.
Note the repeated use of the word "cheap". And note the use of simple activities. Most human beings are happy just doing something different. Especially with young kids, and older kids too, not every experience has to be on par with Disneyland or Las Vegas. Think outside the box-playgrounds, hiking trails, and other outdoor ativities are great in a new place.

No comments: