Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Why is cheap, cheap?

Ever wonder how I decide what is cheap?
When I worked at a local museum in the mid-90's, a guest complained one day about how expensive it was for admittance fees. I took a non-comittal stance, as an employee, but privately I agree'd with them. This same guest, who must have been desperate to talk to some one. They stood around for a very long time, and started talking about all the movies they had seen recently. Whoa-back the truck up. Movies were, and continue to be, on par with any museum as far as price goes, however when the movie ends you are out while a museum will let you stay all day. Hence, an idea was born.
If people will pay so much to sit in a dark room for 2-2 1/2 hours on average, then they can pay so much to do something more constructive. Current polls bear me out-in a troubled economy, attendance at movies has gone up, inspite of the price to get in. Soooooo, an average family of four is paying about $30 for a 2 hour movie (full price, 2 adults, 2 kids), and many of my ideas (even with my lazy way of buying lunch) come WAY under that for the same number of people. I rock.

1 comment:

AMJ said...

I could do a whole blog on this topic, but I will try and refrain myself. Or maybe I will save it for my own blog. To keep it simple why will people pay 20$-30$ for movies or dinner or a new book, but not for a museum or library fee? I will get the library in a minute... Because they feel that these places should open free to the public as a service. Some people honestly feel that museums, libraries and the like are all run on donation and that the employees are all volunteers. I kid you not. They also think that all material is donated. When I worked for a small town library, the system was set up as a co-op way back when....and only people within those city boundaries had taxes that went to the library. As the cities grew and people lived within "city" limits but outside the incorporated areas, their taxes did not go to the library. They were shocked to find out they were expected to pay $20-$50 to become a member and be able to check out material. Anyone can use the library with out paying, but to check out materials the fee needed to be paid. It is probably close to $100 now. Still to have unlimited use of all the movies, cd's, books, magazines, computers, research facilities, etc. is a good deal. This is the same as buying 4 new release hard back books, 5 new CD's or buying 5-10 new movies or going out to eat 2-3 times. People have a hard time realizing that this is actually a great deal because they feel the library should be free. Because that is what we are taught, the library is free. People have a hard time understanding that their taxes pay for this service so that it can be "free" to them. And I actually had people who were convinced that the whole library, which was pretty extensive for a town of 23,000 was run on volunteers and donations. Get a grip people! And lets not get started on the people who think working for a non-profit entity means you actually are not allowed to make ANY profit........ Sorry this is so long, I really tried to keep it short........