Monday, April 27, 2009

Cheap Treats Part VIII

You may have noticed I am behind in my posting-we have had some speed bumps here lately. A couple early mornings for work (ugh-my night owl is in disarray), one case of pink eye, and lots of yard work can disrupt the best of schedules. However, as always, I have my eye out for great things to do.
A few weekends ago, I went to the local nursery for some plants. If I am getting plain old flowers, I go to Wal-mart. But if I need a plant, AND some good advice, it is worth it to pay more and get the right flower/shrub and advice on how to grow it right. Buying the cheap version, but planting it in the wrong area, is a huge waste of money when it dies.
Anyway, the person I spoke with told me about clinics they have for kids once a month where they do a garden project. Last month they decorated pots. Of course these clinics are free-they hope the parents will spend money, or at the very least creating a future loyal shopper. But lots of stores have them, and if you are looking for a cheap activity (and nothing is cheaper than free), these are a great way to go. I have done arts-n-crafts at book stores, and I know home improvement stores have done wood craft projects. Are these projects creating the next Da Vinci? Probably not. But it is a great way to expsoe kids to different activities, and it fits the criteria of being inexpensive.

No comments: