Friday, May 18, 2007

A tribute to Mr. Falwell

I have a lot of thoughts on my mind-that is what happens when you have a short attention span. But what I keep going back to is the passing of Jerry Falwell. For those who know me, you know I am being charitable when I say we had a difference of opinion. And I won't pick apart the dead. Jerry Falwell had family that is grieving right now. For them, I feel bad. But when I read the glowing tributes paid to him, someone said that Jerry Falwell had the ability to work with, and unite, people of all backgrounds. I am sorry, but I think the person who said that, and I don't remember who it was, smokes crack. Jerry Falwell's goal in life was to pass legislation requiring we all live like him. At least that is how I sum up his life's work, and I fail to see how that unites people. Mother Theresa was a person who worked with all different types of people and despite the vast differences in us, I admire her enormously. Hey, she walked the talk and that is an extremely difficult thing to do. But Jerry Falwell's fiery speeches and off the cuff remarks did not endure him to a large segment of the population and that includes me. I can relate to Mr. Falwell though-I want the world to be my way too. If I ruled the world, here is what I would change-
*Christmas would be the third Friday of every December and it would be a national holiday.
*Christmas, Memorial Day, and Labor Day would be actual holidays that EVERYONE got off and not just those of us in the right job. You can shop or eat out another day.
* Paris Hilton would be working a real job, and hating it.
*Public transportation would be free, in every city.
*People who hurt and mistreat children will be sent to prison and actually pay for their crimes. In prison they will be forced to listen to Dr. Lara ALL DAY LONG.
*Families of all types would be honored-no more empty legislation that is suppose to "help" (curfews don't do any good unless it is safe for kids to go home, speed zones in front of schools enforcable at midnight are good because...)
*Professions that help people (police, teachers, mental health workers, fireman, social service workers, etc.) would get the salaries they deserve.
*Chocolate would be free and passed out like condoms.
*The people who agree with war, any war, have to be the ones who fight in it, even if they are a politician.

I can think of more things but I think that is a good start. I guess the moral of the story is I have more in common with Jerry Falwell than I thought, but I still disagree with the commentator who said Mr. Falwell, brought people together. We do not have to agree with everyone else, we do not have to live like everyone else, and we don't even have to like everyone else. But demanding that people be just like us, is not the way to unite everyone else.

1 comment:

T-girl said...

You know, I have been trying for AGES to get everyone to understand MY way is right but no one listens! Just think how sweet it would be to all live in T's world! I would have all your rules BUT I would add in "bitch-smacking for all stupid people and no reprocussions." Sorry but there are certain people in this world... mostly the people on the freeway with me.... who really would benifit from a good smack, think of it as public service and stress releif for all!

Oh and just a little tid-bit... childrens crime perpatrators get to have a special cell all to themselves because even peices of crap, low-life bottom of the cesspool criminals have standards and they enclude not messing with children! If it were up to me, I would let these peices of cow dung into the general population with a sign that says "I raped/molested/killed (whatever thier crime is) a child!" and let the population of our jails take care of the problem... saves taxpayers money housing the crapheads AND they are already in jail! Hum, another T rule for the masses! LOL