Thursday, May 03, 2007

Well, modern technology escapes me-2 weeks of trying to remember how to get into my blog to post and all I had to do is sign in. Good thing I never pretended to be a genius-I would have been discovered a liar this past week.
This afternoon I was working on my crossword puzzle and I came across this clue: where worship occurs". I am not good at these crossword puzzles but my first thought was: "in the heart." No, that did not fit but it felt right to me, even it is a little sappy.
When my husband's grandma(Madka) was dying of cancer, she asked us to go to church with her but when the day arrived she was to sick to go and we attended without her. One person, I can't remember who, looked at me, a nice Jewish girl and said "I am surprised you came to a Catholic Church." Even though Madka prayed in a church, and used Latin as her base, I am pretty sure her prayers for her family and safety were similar to my Hebrew ones. There are differences to be sure in every religion and I am just as proud to be Jewish as Madka was to be Catholic. But when the sun set at the end of the day, we hoped for the same things, prayed to the same God, and cried the same tears over sad things.
I truly believe that the different religions of the world are one of God's greatest gifts to us. Just as He does not expect us to look the same, or act the same (although we all have to play nice), He also knows that we need different avenues of prayer and when my Good Christian friend attends Easter service, I smile and feel good for her knowing she has does something that made her happy. Now when I take over the world and rule supreme, you know what to expect.

2 comments:

Katie said...

What a beautiful post Dena - Do you remember me saying at my wedding that sometimes I wasn't sure why were such wonderful friends as we are so different, but that I knew in my heart that we'd always be the best of friends? I realize as we grow older, that really we are so much alike - we admire honesty, we "mother" in very similar ways, we have the same views on spirituality...what could be more important to have in common?! Besides books, that is...

Katie said...

By the way I laughed out loud and practically spit my Diet Dr. Pepper all over the laptop about your ineptitude...