Friday, May 25, 2007

The Doctors

Most of my friends don't realize that in my heart of hearts, I am a hypochondriac. Everytime something twinges or feels funny, I am pretty sure I have cancer. When I had problems with a skin rash after Asa was born, I was relieved to find out my possible cancer was eczema. And when my tailbone was acting up, I was happy to find out I didn't have bone cancer. I have no idea why I am like this, but I just add it to the quirky things that make me, me. Only twice did I know I did not have cancer. When I had post-partum, I knew it was post-partum. The very first sign of cancer is NOT anxiety, or at least as far as I know. And when I had chest pains, I switched my diagnosis to a heart attack, which it was not. When I was rear-ended, I went forward into the seat belt, essentially hitting all the muscles in my chest.
So this time the "cancer" was in my knee, and slowly traveling down my leg to make my foot cramp. Guess what? I have loose knee caps that wiggle around when they aren't suppose too. What this means is limited squatting and more exercise to beef up my quad muscles in my thigh so the cap doesn't have the space to move around. Eventually I may need surgery but if I take care of myself now, that can be postponed till I am older, like 70. This "condition" is common, and very common in women. So why am I noticing it now if I have had these my whole life? I weigh more than high school (although weight is not huge factor because I am not over weight), I do different activities, and I have a young son that I am squatting to lift (lift with your knees not with your back, etc.). I chalk it up to the fact that I am slowly disinteregrating. Bad back, bad knees, screwy tailbone-I sound like the poster child for Motrin. This time what set my knee off was my gardening last week. See, exercise can be bad for you.
To top it off, I have gained 5 pounds. I am not distrubed about the 5 pounds itself-weight fluctates. However, it is the start of the path to the darkside, to quote Star Wars, and I am making sure to stick to the no treats at night rule. 10 days and counting.

2 comments:

T-girl said...

OMG! You are TOO much girl! That is what we love about you. oh and if someone who knows you doesn't know you are a hypocond... how the hell DO you spell that word?... maybe they don't know you! ROTFL

Anonymous said...

Oh Dena - I am saddened by your blogs for two reasons... one being that I noticed I am not mentioned anywhere. Am I not noteworthy? The second being that I realize you need more social interaction. I promise to walk you more often. I am glad though that you have found yourself an outlet to further release all those thoughts racing around in your head. I can't help but love you to pieces. This means... mention me more dammit. Sarah