Monday, June 16, 2008

Nesting?

Okay, maybe this is my version of "nesting", because I am 2 months out from having baby number 2, but I have another "baby issue".
First of all, "nesting" is supposedly a stage you go through right before you give birth. Chemicals, shear panic, or evolution inspire some to clean their entire house and surrounding area right before they give birth. Friends of mine had this happen to them. It did not happen to me. Apprently, NOTHING inpsires me to clean my house so don't take your shoes off if you come over.
But I seem to have much on my mind regarding Junior, and today it is names. Naming your baby, dog, or anything else you need to come when called (husbands?) is apparently something akin to politics and movies-it is always okay to register an opinion.
Some couples I know have opted to say nothing about names, another to announce if they are searching for a boy name or a girl name. Others have passed on their top five list and made everyone wait. And of course some of us, myself included, announce to the world what we are thinking and then must pay the price of every opinion out there.
What gets me is how rude some people can be. I have had people make faces (obvious faces), a few were kind enough to purposely say Asa wrong so I could hear what they thought everyone else would say, and one person flat out told me it was just a horrible name and how could I do that to my son. Wow, wasn't that a fun time. And for the record, only one person mis-pronounced Asa's name, and it was on purpose. Another fun time.
Obviously if my friends picked the name "dumb ass" or "numbskull", I would say something. But naming children is very personal and I have kept a straight face (or at least I hoped I kept a straight face) on the decisions my friends have made. After all, they will be calling this name out far more often then I will-the parents are the ones who have to be the most comfortable with above anyone else.
This kid will have a name that will offend someone, somewhere. This kid will have a name that is going to be made fun-other kids are creative that way, so it doesn't matter what name I come up with. But as long as we stay away from "dumb ass" and "numbskull", I am good with that.

No comments: