Thursday, June 12, 2008

New and Improved WOnder Drugs

I read an article today in our local newspaper that said the potency of pot (yes, the drug) has increased since the 1970's. So all those hippie parents who pooh-pooh their kids smoking pot should be forewarned that it is not as innocent as when they were kids, or so the article says. Hmmm-the gerbil starts running.
I am outraged and disgruntled by this. In the same time period, the 1970's to now, studies have shown that the nutritional value of our fruits and vegetables has decreased. So in a nutshell, our nation's supply of pot has gotten better while our apples, thanks to hybridization, have gotten worse.
My problem is, who do I get mad at? Mommies who have gone back to work and no longer stay home with their juvenielle delinquients? Um, I don't think so. The current conservative regime who insists that a "don't ask, don't tell policy" for drugs, alcohol, and pre-marital sex is the best course of instruction for teenagers? I wish I could blame them for the last three decades of societal issues but it isn't fair. Do I blame the consumer? Apparently potheads demand a higher standard for quality than the average grocery shopper. Or is it international competition? Hybdrid have a higher yield, giving us extra to sell overseas. I guess no one wants or needs our pot crop?
I think one thing is blatantly clear-when motivated, anyone can succeed.
Regardless, I am not happy that innovation and improvement has gone into something so frivolous, and the things that are truly important, a good food source, seem to be less important. Now what do we do about it, dude?

1 comment:

AMJ said...

We both really enjoyed your blog, but both agree that the chances of pot being that much more potent are pretty slim and that it is probably an anti-drug scare. On the other hand, it is a real issue that our fruits and veggies world wide have less nutritional value. I guess this is what happens when you let the government run the farms and the hippies run the pot crop. Because my guess is that if the hippies ran the farms they would be just as high a quality as the pot!