Thursday, March 05, 2009

Everybody's Talking

You would have to be an idiot living under a rock in the Antarctic not to know the economy is a hot topic right now. My opinion is mixed on how things are. On the one hand, things are bad. Prices are up, wages are stagnant-if you even have a wage. Just yesterday I read about more banks failing and the word "depression" is starting to be thrown around. However, flip the coin over and there is actually good news. Some business'es are thriving, and I think it is pre-mature to say it is 1929 all over again. Just off the top of my head I can tell you that it is a different world than 90 years ago.
However, regardless of what you think, it never hurts to save money, so to do my bit, I am offering an "economy tip of the week". Ok, this isn't actually my idea in full. A couple blogs I read have "cooking tips of the week". Not much I can tell you about a microwave. But when it comes to doing things on the cheap, I am all over it. Some of my ideas may seem obvious, but when I mention them to people I get looks of awe. Apparently I am the only one traveling in my circle. Some of my ideas are only cheap compared to the alternative (example-the beach two hours from house my house versus Spain). And some of my ideas are cheap, if you have the money to start with (example-renting movies. Great idea if you already have a VCR/DVD player). However, all my ideas have one thing in common-they are better than what I read in magazines. One article that caught my eye was how to do Disney World cheap. I got excited till I realized every family they interviewed lived in Florida. Coming from a national magazine, I thought that was a mean teaser. I have also seen articles on doing cruises cheap. Um, I still have to fly to wherever the ship leaves since I never see cruises out of the Oregon Coast.
So first idea I have is: the local library. Almost everyone I know goes to the library in tough times to check out books. Not a bad idea but especially in this area, that is waaayy UNDER-UTILIZING this resource. Our local libraries (Portland-Metro area, Oregon) have dozens of FREE activities, for kids AND adults. There are story times in different languages, reading groups, basic computer classes for all ages, plus lots of guest speakers. And if an activity does have a charge it is pretty inexpensive compared to other forms of entertainment. I know people who have shelled out over $100 PER ticket to see singers. An author coming next month is $12. One library near us does a pajama party every Tuesday night for kids under 6. And at the end of this month the Oregon Zoo will bringing out it's traveling animal exhibit for kids. The possibilities are endless, and cheap, cheap, cheap.
Now, those of you who are "in the know", realize that many bookstore also have this kind of entertainment free. Story times, arts-n-craft session, and touring authors are just some of the things I have seen advertised. For an addict such as myself, a bookstore is a dangerous place. Granted it is great cheap entertainment, but I usually blow my budget anyway buying books. I think the library is a safer place for me to be, but those of you with more resistance should do just fine in a bookstore.

1 comment:

AMJ said...

You are right, libraries offer amazing activities. Since your tax dollars are going to support the library, take advantage! To add to this, current movie releases are also available, if you don't know how to do a search, ask the reference desk for help. I think with the metro libraries most of their movies are usually out so you don't see much of a selection but they do have an amazing selection of Current movies. Also instead of buying CD's check them out at the library, same thing there is quite a selection of current hits. Dito your favorite magazine that your read once and throw away and your daily newspaper subrcription, unless it is the highlight of your day, then keep your subscription at home. ;) But seriously, forget renting movies at blockbuster, you can save major money by hitting the library instead, but just be sure to have a few choices because there could be a waiting list. And look for library used book sales and free swaps, a great time to pick up good books for free or nearly free and it supports a wonderful thing! Not having a full service library near us is one of the things I miss. There may be one near us or in Jerusalem, but it is not the same......