Monday, March 23, 2009

Xanadu

When I was 10 years old, I remember going to see "Xanadu", with Olivia Newton-John, Gene Kelly, and a bunch of people I had never seen before. I thought this movie was the bomb!! Cool clothes, roller skating, and a cute leading guy-we were besides ourselves with the coolness of this movie. Thanks to the beauty of cable, Nick and I saw part of this "classic" last weekend.
Gene Kelly, as always, was a class act. People wonder why he did this film-for the love of his job. Acting is acting and he still shined, even in this. The music still rocks. Jeff Lynne did most of the music and if you love ELO, go get the soundtrack.
The rest of the movie? Other than Olivia Newton-John, who the hell were these people? And who thought that was acting?!?!?! I have heard better script writing on "Sponge Bob Square Pants" and my 3 year old puts on a better act when he is trying to con me. When I think back to when I was 10, I can still feel the magic, but I have to ignore the grown-up side that says "pee-ew-eeeee". Watch "Grease" if you are having Olivia Newton-John withdrawl's (do those exist?) and watch "Singing In The Rain", "Anchors Aweigh", or "Take Me Out To The Ballgame" if you need to see Gene Kelly.
I feel better now. Thanks Blog!

No comments: