Friday, March 27, 2009

Cheap Tip- Part V

This week's tip is from experience.
Yesterday, Memaw and I took the kids to the airport via public transportation. We took the local train to the transfer station where we picked up a bus. At the airport, we ran around in the play area, had lunch, and reversed our trip with bus than train. Now, mommy is a complete lunch snob, so we bought lunch but if you took a lunch, obviously the cost would be much cheaper-basically just the cost of two bus tickets.
Asa thought this was the neatest activity. He looked out the window, talked about Thomas the Train, and waved at people. He like the bus as well. Part of this was his age-I just can't see an older kid having as much fun. But the big thing is novelty. In talking to my sister, who has her kids riding the bus weekly, I realized that for my nephews and niece, this activity would not be as much fun for them. However, for my little suburbanite, the train and bus are truly special.
I have to be honest, the experience was not as much fun for me. Going was fine but coming back everyone was tired and cranky. It was raining cats and dogs waiting for our transfer, and when we got on the train all the seats were taken but one. Of course I let wiggly Asa have it to keep an eye on him. God Bless the woman who got up to give me her seat. Truly, God Bless her. I thanked her MANY times, and profusely. With a 20 pound baby in my arms, I must have looked as tired as I felt. And for the record, not one of the men stood. Half way home, the train had to wait due to police activity on the tracks ahead. Oh joy-one crying baby, one cranky toddler-I counted to ten over and over and over and over again. Then I notice that the guys across the aisle are laughing, and I hear snickering from down the way. I look at Asa and he is LICKING the plexi-glass. The guy DIRECTLY behind him was not amused, and I realized I was cranky AND grossed out. But it did keep Asa quiet and isn't this why we have immune systems?
So the tip this week is bus/train/mass transit rides for kids who never get the chance. I guess for the kids who ride mass transit a lot, maybe a car ride would be fun for them?

1 comment:

AMJ said...

Actually, my kids still love the bus, believe it or not and they are putting in a city train in Jerusalem and every time we go in which has been a lot lately the kids are thrilled to see the tracks going in and they get all excited seeing the train posters for the coming train. But you are right, everytime we get in a car,the kids are ecstatic. It is deffinitely big news. Usually we are taking a taxi, but on rare occasion when we with friends or rent a car this is even bigger news! Wouldn't life be much simpler is we were all that easily entertained! Of course we would miss out on some cool stuff then!