Wednesday, March 04, 2009

Makes a Mother Proud

Lat Sunday we had a birthday party to go to. Since the birthday boy was turning 4, it was a theme'd party-Super Hero's.
So Saturday we go looking for a birthday present, confident in the knowledge that we will find some really cool super hero stuff. We get to the store and immediately get bogged down in the Thomas the Train section. Asa is pretty confident that the birthday boy wants Thomas stuff. After a couple go-arounds I say "Asa, I talked with the mommy and she said that we should get super hero's." Asa replied "Well, I talked to the mommy too and she said Thomas!" Right. So much for trying to outwit Asa. So daddy gets the toy while we dream of Thomas toys.
Before bed that night, we talked about the party the next day and how we treat our friends, so Sunday Asa is pretty excited. He knows we are going to play. Being the militant mom I am, I say no to sweatpants. I don't force him into nice pants often, but I thought that at the very least we could put on regular pants. Then we get to the shirt. Hoping against hope, I ask Asa if he wants to wear his super heor t-shirt daddy picked out for him months ago. Nope, dinosaurs, again. I try again, mentioning how cool super hero's are. Nope, dinosaurs. Finally in exasperation I say "Asa, don't you want to wear super hero's? Everyone else at the pary will be wearing super hero's." Asa looks me in the eye and says "Not me mommy."
Okay, I melted. Granted his stubborn streak drives me nuts, but got to love a little boy who can resist peer pressure-even when it comes from mom. It gives me hope for high school. and yes, we wore another dinosaur shirt. And no, even at the party Asa was fine in his dinosaur shirt. He never even asked for one of the extra mask's or cape's.

No comments: