Monday, March 16, 2009

Survey Says...

Okay, I am taking this to the "blog streets". Nick and I are in the middle of a disagreement. I want to get our two sons a kitchen set to play with. Not a Barbie-centric, pink frilly thing that sings when you push a button. I just want a neutral, plastic thing in the general shape of a stove, oven, and refrigerator. My feeling is that one day my sons will need to know how to cook. And maybe one day they will have a family that they will be responsible for. A kitchen set will let them know that the kitchen is for everyone, NOT just the women folk. Nick thinks I am getting them girly toys.
Now, no one will change my mind, but I need to know what the wider world thinks. Leave me a message, e-mail, or call me-I don't care. Just let me know if you think this will send my sons to therapy, or if I am brilliant for thinking of it. The more ammo I can use the better, because if I think I am right, I will do it anyway.

2 comments:

Katie said...

Brilliant! Read here: http://www.buzzle.com/articles/the-benefits-of-pretend-play-food-toys.html
and here:
http://www.earlychildhoodeducation.co.uk/help-your-four-year-old-learn-with-toys.html

AMJ said...

Of course you did the right thing. I think it is great. I want for the kids and that includes the boys. I have thought about it as a 3 part gift, dishes for one, the fruit and veggies for another and pots and pans for another. I had a friend with 4 boys and they had kitchen stuff. Some of the most famous Chefs in the world are men. Think Wolf Gang Puck. See I remember some T.V. commercials........