Monday, March 02, 2009

P is For Perry Mason

It is ironic that just as I list the tv show "Perry Mason" as something that makes me happy, an article on the show is in our local newspaper. Guess what? I am not alone in my "Perry Mason Geek-dom".
When the station Perry run's on hired a new manager 6 months ago, they told him one thing-you can change anything but Perry Mason. It has run at 12:00p noon on that station since 1970, except for one season when it started at 12:30p. Apparently in this area is it VERY popular.
All can say is, thank goodness!! I have been terrified that one day I will turn on the tv and find Perry Mason gone. No one I know but me likes it-or at least no one who admits it. How long can a black and white show from 50 years ago last? Even in re-runs? (Perry Mason ran from 1957-1966; it was in the article). Hopefully for many years to come.
So what is the allure? Why is an out-dated tv show so popular? In this area, 1 in 11 people are watching it on any given day. I can't answer for all of Portland but I know what I think, even as I watch an episode where I remember the murderee, murderer, and reason for the killing.
I don't remember the first time I saw Perry Mason, but I do remember coming home at 5 years old and being grateful I hadn't missed that day's episode. It was on when I was sick, home from vacation, and every reason in-between. I have good memories of being snuggled up on the couch watching these old shows with my family. Even my sister, who never cared for the show as much, turned it on when she was home, sick from work, long after she moved out and lived on her own. It is almost a ritual-if you are home at noon, turn on Perry Mason!
My kids don't know it yet, but they are fourth generation viewers. I get a kick knowing that I am not only doing something with my kids, that I did with my mom, but also something my mom did with her mom.
But the biggest reason for watching Perry Mason is psychological comfort, pure and simple. I don't know what the future holds. I hope everyone I know remains healthy, and we all keep our jobs. I hope we clean up the environment and bad people go to jail. But the world is an uncertain, uncontrolable place, and I don't know what will happen. On Perry Mason, it is not the real world. In this racist (although ahead of it's time-I have seen a black cop on episodes) and chauvinistic, world, where people smoke and married women rarely work, I know the bad guy will get caught and the good guy will go free. Perry Mason will defend truth, justice, and the American way, and so will his staff. We know who the enemy is, and there is no room for fudging on who the good guy is. Most episodes end up in court half thru and the murderer is revealed with about 10 minutes left. There is NEVER a part 2, so I don't have to worry about tuning in the next day to see the end. There is a comfort knowing that while my world can change on a dime, Perry Mason is the same till the end.
Is it silly. Yep. Would I watch it if I didn't like it-no way. Is it cheaper than drugs or alcohol? Absolutley. Long Live Perry Mason.

2 comments:

AMJ said...

All I have to say is, that is a great blog. It actually makes me miss not having Perry Mason here to tune into at 12:00p. Maybe I can download it just for fun.

Katie said...

I know exactly what you mean! Whenever I hear the opening music, I am immediately comforted and would love to have some bean and bacon Campbell's soup to eat while I watch it...one of those good memories I guess. Great post!