Thursday, June 21, 2007

35 candles

I wasn't going to mention my birthday, but I realize I have issues. I turned 35, and to all of you who are older and think I am whining, you would be right. But 35 is hard. True, my boobs have been sagging since I was in my late 20's (welcome to the world of a large chest), and the boys never really looked my way anyhow (book loving, make-up free, opinionated girls are NEVER in hot demand). But it is hard to think that IF a cute boy looked my way, he would probably think "there goes some old lady and her baby". It sucks! Once upon a time I colored my hair for a different color of blond. Now, I am happy with any blond and trying to hide the grey. I never wore high heels much, but I sure miss the days of wearing any tennis shoe I could find. Now, if the arches don't support my feet I can kiss my knees good-bye. Sigh.
But there is a silver lining-let me tell you what I did for my birthday.
Tuesday, my mom took me to the new forest center in the Tillamook National Forest. Not only did she drive, which as much as gas is was probably the most expensive gift I got, but she paid my admission fee and we had a great time seeing the exhibits and wandering their trails. Even Asa had fun, even if he never noticed the Tiger Lily flowers still in bloom.
Wednesday, D-Day, my husband let me choose the activity and we went to the Discovery Center in The Dalles, ate lunch at Baldwin Saloon, and stopped at Multnomah Falls on the way home. We even walked to the first bridge, .2 miles up. Asa walked the whole way too and giggled everytime a dog passed us, and he loved the ice cream that daddy shared with him.
Friday, I am going out with friends from work where I will have some calorie ladden drink.
I realized driving home yesterday, with my son snoring in the back and my husband pretending to show interest in what I like, it had been a great day. With the windows down on a sunny day I could smell the fresh air and wildflowers of the forest. I could see my son, covered with ice cream, look all fat and pleased (all babies SHOULD look fat so that is a good thing). And my husband was loving enough to miss the OSU baseball game to spend the day the way I wanted. I realized then, one great thing about getting older, is that we learn to appreciate the gifts that really matter. I still want things, but I want things like my baby's smile and giggles, sunny days with my husband that last forever, and the memories of happy days. Knowing that my friends were thinking of me, even if I never heard from them, is a gift I wouldn't trade for anything. Watching Nick feed Asa the Beggar ice cream is priceless. That I know that, takes the twinge off of getting older. What life lessons will I learn as I age even more?
I am not happy with 35, but obviously what do you do? Lord knows I want to make 36, 37, etc. so tommorrow I will go out with work, drink enough to be happy but not enough to get in trouble and feel like a rebel because I will ignore the calories floating to my butt.
Oh how we change, thank goodness. I didn't get a single gift I could unwrap, but I feel like I got a lot for my birthday. Thanks to everyone.

2 comments:

AMJ said...

Great blog. Glad you had a good time on your birthday and that you got to spend the day with your family. I am looking forward to pictures of both events. Glad you are turning 35 first, makes it easier for me! But really your blog really does put things in perspective. Happy 35!

Love,
Your YOUNGER sister!

PS quit whining about the gray hair there silver fox! ;)

SweetAnnee said...

Oh Dena, 35 is young!! You'll see ..in a few years you'll say ..oh 35 is young!!
teehee
from an over 50 gal
smiles, Deena