Friday, June 15, 2007

Gulp-OJ is kind right

Let me get one thing straight-OJ Simpson is not my favortite person. I don't hate him, but I don't remember his glory days of football-he will be forever a "Love Boat" guest star to me and that kind of sums him up for me. But I read a comment of his that got me thinking. He said that on the day Paris Hilton went to jail, NASA sent up a space shuttle and most people have no idea how many astronauts were on that shuttle because Hilton took up all the press. His point was that our prioirites on what is news are screwed up. Okay, give OJ credit-if anyone knows about headlines it is that guy.
(And as a side note, in my forensic science studies I read about the case from BOTH the Defense side and Prosecution side (not the media side). Everyone agrees the evidence was tainted. Defense says on purpose, Prosecution said because of poor evidence control. Either way, his guilt or innocence will never be known now).
I agree with OJ: the things we consider news worthy are pretty poor sometimes. I have seen headlines that say one star is sleeping with another, or they gained weight, or they actually prefer chocolate to vanilla, or they got lost in their backyard, or at 10 bedrooms they still need a guest house because the main house is to small-whatever dumb and stupid things famous people do, or say, gets put on the front page like it will create world peace. How many times do I have to hear that wine is only good for you in moderation and that fresh vegetables are better for you than potato chips? Dan Quayle trying to spell Poh-Ta-Toe took up almost a month worth of news-get the guy a dictionary and move on. Or the people that got robbed, in the city, in the middle of the night, when they left their car doors UNLOCKED. All of them seemed shocked that this could happen to them. Another article on how dumb Americans smell good seems to trickle up every few months too. Yes-we smell good. Isn't that important to know?
The sad thing-this is nothing new. People like to say the media is going downhill but you can''t go downhill when you started at the bottom. Anyone out there remember William Randolph Hearst, now known for some off his famous descedents like Patty Hearst of the kidnapping in the early 1970's and his mansion in San Simeon, Ca. He was known to make news up on a slow day and both Luella Parspns and Hedda Hopper, gossip columnists in the 40's, 50's, and 60's would freely make up lies about Hollywood Stars that had pissed them off. So much for "the truth will set you free".
Media actually is kind of like grandparents: on a good day they are friend and on a bad day they are foe. On a good day they are the best entertainment I have ever had. On a bad day, they feed my kid nothing but crap. I for one, don't care about Paris Hilton. Money to burn, no life skills, and ugly to boot-I kind of feel sorry for her, but only kind of.

No comments: