Friday, June 22, 2007

Theif At Heart

If you have read my blog from June 21 ("35 Candles"), you will know that last Tuesday I was at the new Forest Center in Tillamook. It is a very neat facility, filled with all aspects of forest management. In one display, they have a tree where the bark opens like a door to see what lives there. They have a forest firefighter tent, with tools for beating forest fires. They have a replica of a pioneer home with information on how the logging industry was, and still is, an economic tool for the area. Outside there are trails, long and short, that talk about the woodland area. Some of the trails hook up with a neighboring campground, but the shorter ones travel through a replanted area complete with info. signs.
The true highlight for me was the fire tower. This thing is at least two stories tall and when you get to the top, they have the quarters of a fire watcher. In the 1930's and 40's, this was one way they spotted forest fires, posting people up high and having them report signs of fire via radio. Of course, true to modern times, everything was nailed down. The lid to the pot was glue'd down, as was all the dishes, radio equipment, etc. But the view is neat, and even Asa climbed to the top, setting the stage for some great napping time on the way home. My joy was complete until I saw the books. Two old books to reflect the time, one was a Zane Grey/Gray? and the other was a story to go with the Blondie and Dagwood comic strip (still running in The Oregonian). Of course I picked up the books and looked at them-I am an addict. But let's talk about how disappointed I was that the books WERE NOT NAILED DOWN. Are they so unimportant? Of so little value? I have seen toilet paper restricted and locked up, so books are less than what we wipe our butts with? I wanted to steal the books just to show that someone out there found them worthy, but the Girl Scout in me felt guilty just thinking about it. Maybe I should be grateful they think book lovers aren't thieves, but what I really want to do is go attach the books to the bunk with a wire so they at leat seem to have the same economic value of a stew pot lid.
WIth or without the books, the center is great and worth a visit if you are in the area.

2 comments:

Katie said...

Oh, I totally agree, and that bothers me. Why would they not glue those down? I think you might ask someone about it & suggest that they tie those books down...you think of those little odd things that I do...that would've caught me off guard as well.

Katie said...

By the way, your quotes are spot on...hahahaha!! Gave me a good laugh, that first one did! And the second is one to write down & remember...it is the only "there are two kinds of people" statement that might really be true. I love it when you share!!