Monday, June 18, 2007

Dad

It was Father's Day yesterday. I have the same feelings I have for Father's Day that I have for Mother's Day-not positive. Hey, at least I am equal. But on that same vein I wrote about my mom, and for those of you who don't know me (because my blog is oh so popular and read by EVERYONE), I don't want you to think I am dad-less. I have a dad, and he is one of a kind.
My dad loves my sister and I. Don't misinterpret anything you are about to read. My dad did not know what to do with daughters and to his credit, he gave it a his best try. I love that most about him above anything else. A lot of men in his position, when faced with girl children, simply did nothing. I have friends with that kind of dad. But my dad went in like a bull , bluffing his way through stuffed animals, barbies, and puberty. (To this day, I do not like to mention the word "period" in front of my dad-even when talking about punctuation. Only the good Lord knows why.) He took us hiking, to the movies (although "Coal Miner's Daughter" was not the best choice), and attended all our piano recitals. He took a beer trick-or-treating, threw pine cones and sticks at us to make us walk faster, and played so hard with us I have scars (physical, not emotional) from some of our exploits. His stories are legendary-his first hunting experience when he set a tree stump on fire, the time he used the butt therometer in his mouth one of the few times I remember him being sick, and how when neighbor asked if dad was following the latest tennis finals, dad replied he was sorry but he didn't follow golf. And these "play" qualities have stuck with him to this day. He is still fun and willing to do crazy things. When emergency crew pulled him out the lake after he jumped off the houseboat, mom replied if they had to do that sort of thing often? Sure they replied, but with young guys not old ones. I hope my dad stays that way, because it is antoher of his greatest qualities.


*

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Why do you dislike Father's Day? I didn't really get that point from your post. I assume it is because everyday is Father's Day. You don't need one day a year to appreciate Dad.

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday!

AMJ said...

Great tribute to Dad. I never new about the tennis finals conversation. Too funny! And don't forget the ski trips. Go Warren Miller! I told someone in the Discovery Store about dad's leg when I bought him the Darwin Awards book for his b-day. He thought it was way cool. Guess our dad still has it!